Manager, Software Engineering
DealerSocket | Product Development | Irving, TX
Job Purpose Summary
Engineering Managers are responsible for providing agile coaching and technical mentorship to guide the tactical execution of their team(s) development projects. They are responsible for the administrative duties and management of software and quality assurance engineers. Engineering Managers are expected to work closely with product owners and scrum masters to ensure product backlogs are clearly defined, prioritized and well understood by the teams. In addition, the Manager is responsible for adopting, maintaining and implementing best practices with the scrum masters, software engineers, test engineers and QA through example, guidance and training. Engineering Managers are servant leaders and a beacon reflecting our cultural values: Be your best, Achieve more together, Think beyond your role, Make the plane, Serve to win and Make it happen. Level-up during your interview by showing us what these mean to you and remember to ask us what “Make the plane” means.
Essential Job Duties
- Lead, mentor and support a highly effective team of passionate engineers fostering a healthy agile culture.
- Enable a culture of creativity, collaboration, speed, innovation and excellence while continuously elevating the quality and caliber of our engineering organization.
- Participate in strategic planning meetings with product management, architecture and design.
- Contribute to technical engineering designs, resource management and implementations.
- Manage the delivery of software using Agile best practices.
- Build cross department relationships centered on executing company strategy.
- Exemplify DealerSocket cultural values Solve complex software engineering tasks, while maintaining coding standards and practices.
- Communicate effectively with team members, internal and external customers.
- Measure KPI’s such as velocity, estimation accuracy and defect percentages.
- Assist in training new engineers by leading technical courses
BS, MS, MBA or Ph.D in Computer Science or related technical discipline
- 10+ Years Software Engineering.
- Experience with architectural design recommendation and guidance.
- Experience in an Agile/Scrum environment.
- Software development experience building enterprise SaaS cloud based solutions.
- Demonstrated experience leading the design, development, delivery and maintenance of large scale and high performance platforms.
- Knowledge of release management and deployment workflow processes, from development release through production deployment.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with a proven ability to build productive cross-departmental relationships and motivate team members.
- Positive, can-do attitude and value collaboration a must.
- Experience with object oriented code, .Net, C#, HTML, CSS, SQL Server, Front End Web, Web Services.
- Technical expertise that enables meaningful conversations with product architects & engineers
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Professional demeanor.
- Works effectively in a team setting.
- Works efficiently across distributed teams.
- Aptitude for learning new technologies and concepts.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritize.
- Manage several activities in parallel.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Able to translate customer and business needs to technical solutions.
- The natural ability to be a champion for change
Physical Demands (Travel, etc.)
- Available to solve critical issues as necessary
- Occasional travel required (20%)