Associate Systems Engineer
PowerSchool | Services | Austin, TX
Associate Systems Engineer designs, prescribes, analyzes, deploys, integrates, optimizes, configures, evaluates, tests, debugs, and administers applications, software programs, and the underlying program, network, and physical and/or virtual infrastructure necessary to adequately support their operation. The role uses their understanding of emerging technologies, industry best practices, and system requirements to recommend and document specific elements of architecture including servers and their components, networking and related appliances, and third party software and programs. The Systems Engineer supports opportunities for process improvement, re-engineering, and automation, and employs practices intended to improve customer satisfaction and reduce costs. Systems Engineer is expected to leverage their expertise and skill set and may be asked to provide guidance and mentor-ship to peers during informal knowledge transfer opportunities and formalized training.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following.
- Design and implementation of new solutions and improving resilience of the current environment
- Maximizing network performance by monitoring performance, troubleshooting network problems and outages, scheduling upgrades and collaboration
- Securing network systems by establishing and enforcing policies, and defining and monitoring access
- Designing system configuration, directing system installation, defining, documenting and enforcing system standards
- Undertaking data network fault investigations in local and wide area environments, using information from multiple sources
- Support and administration of firewall environments in line with security best practices
- Upgrading network equipment to the latest stable firmware releases
- Configuration of routing and switching equipment
- Remote support of on-site engineers and end users/customers during installation
- Communicating with customers via email and phone
- Remote troubleshooting and root cause analysis of networking issues
Qualifications include: NOTE - THIS IS AN ASSOCIATE LEVEL ROLE
- 2 to 5 years of experience in systems design, systems analysis, and systems deployment in support of multi-platform system integrations
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or other technical discipline, or experience commensurate with a four-year degree is desired.
- One or more certifications indicating formal training and expertise with the design, analysis, deployment, integration, optimization, troubleshooting, and consultation of technical or project management disciplines is desired.
Demonstrable experience with the design, analysis, deployment, integration, optimization, troubleshooting, and consultation of the following disciplines or technologies is required:
- Virtualization software including VMware and/or Hyper-V
- Cloud computing programs including Amazon EC2 and/or Microsoft Azure
- SSL Accelerator/load balancer appliances from F5, Cisco, and/or Kemp Technologies
- complex client/server and web-hosted application software
- client and enterprise-level operating systems including Macintosh, Windows, and/or Linux and network operating systems including Microsoft, Novell, and/or Cisco
- LAN, WAN, and wireless networking concepts and fundamentals such as DNS, DHCP, SSL, firewalls, VLAN's, IP subnetting, routers, switches, and TCP/IP networking
- storage technologies such as Storage Array Networks (SAN), Network Attached Storage (NAS), Direct Attached Storage (DAS) and RAID strategies governing data storage
- LDAP solutions such as Active Directory, Novell eDirectory, and Apple Open Directory
- Windows PowerShell and scripting
- Enterprise backup systems and best practices