SQL Server Database Administrator
EAB | Enrollment Services | Richmond, VA
EAB is an education best practices firm that uses a combination of research, technology, and services to improve the performance of 1,200+ educational institutions. Headquartered in Washington, D.C., EAB forges and finds the best new ideas and proven practices from its network of thousands of leaders, then customizes and hardwires them into every level of member organizations, creating enduring value.
At EAB, we serve not only our members but each other—that's why we are always working to make sure our employees love their jobs and are invested in their community. See how we've been recognized for this dedication to our employees by checking out our recent awards.
The Role in Brief
Database Administrator - SQL Server
Keywords: DB Schema, SQL, MySQL, Postgres, MSSQL, MongoDB, Talend ETL, AWS, Performance Monitoring and Optimization, Backup and Recovery
Be part of a rapidly growing company serving the higher education industry with innovative marketing strategies, data-driven analysis, and comprehensive thought leadership. As a Database Administrator, you will play a key role in building our leading edge marketing platform. Specifically, the DBA supports the application development lifecycle to provide positive impact to the quality of applications being developed. The DBA focuses on tasks related to building an effective, usable database environment to support the creation and maintenance of applications. As programs and systems are being built, the DBA is there to lend assistance and support – which includes building and maintaining the proper database structures required by applications.
This role is based in Richmond, VA.
- Data modeling and data model optimization
- Designing for data integrity and maintaining data integrity in the development environments
- Interview end users and turn the results of these interviews into a logical data model and E/R diagrams
- Translate the logical data model into a physical database implementation
- Partner with programmers in building and editing test data
- Provide tools to programmers to facilitate database testing and data refresh
- Work with the application team to ensure that proper methods are used to embed data access and modification logic into application programs
- Learn and support a variety of database technologies
- Apply data and load modeling techniques to ensure ongoing development efforts meet performance expectations
- Assist developers with complex query tuning, schema refinement and index management
- Work with the application team to create and maintain effective database-coupled application logic stored procedures, triggers and user-defined functions (UDFs); these are programs that are under the control of the DBMS
- Work collaboratively with operational/production DBAs
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, system analysis or a related field preferred, or equivalent experience
- Minimum of 3 years of hands-on design and implementation of MS SQL Server databases in high-scale environment
- Experienced in data sanitization, data import and export
- Strong desire to learn new technologies
- Experience across multiple SQL and NoSQL database systems
- Experience with open source technologies
- Experience with Talend ETL and AWS
Consistent with our belief that our employees are our most valuable resource, EAB offers a competitive benefits package.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance, dependents eligible
- 401(k) retirement plan with company match
- Generous PTO
- Daytime leave policy for community service or fitness activities (up to 10 hours a month each)
- Wellness programs including gym discounts and incentives to promote healthy living
- Dynamic growth opportunities with merit-based promotion philosophy
- Benefits kick in day one, see the full details here.
At EAB, we believe that to fulfill our mission to “make education smarter and our communities stronger” we need team members who bring a diversity of perspectives to the table and a workplace where each team member is valued, respected and heard.
To that end, EAB is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we make employment decisions on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need. We don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law.