DevOps Engineer - Unix
CentralSquare Technologies | Development | Sioux Falls, SD
The DevOps Engineer works closely with Product, Engineering, Operations and Support teams. Individuals in this role use their system and networking knowledge to help design reliable, scalable and cost-effective systems that meet business needs. DevOps Engineer must ensure that on-premise and hosted systems remain healthy and well monitored, and seek solutions that reduce time, effort and complexity of key SDLC tasks (such as integration, build, test and deployment). The DevOps Engineer will communicate professionally and positively with all stakeholders (internal and external).
- Collaborates with Product Owners, R&D leads, vendors and customers to ensure DevOps solutions address business and user needs
- Implements and supports technology stack for Engineering teams to leverage continuous integration and delivery approach for product delivery
- Monitors and tunes systems to ensure cost effectiveness, and optimum levels of performance, availability, stability, security and recoverability
- Performs and automates system and application related maintenance tasks
- Creates and maintains accurate documentation of systems, solutions, guidelines and processes
- Provides information to senior members on utilization of assets, services and processes
- Operates as a resource to less experienced DevOps Engineers, providing an open learning environment for cross-team knowledge sharing. Shares technical knowledge in both one-on-one and group settings.
- Under reasonable circumstances remains available to work during off-hours and weekends to minimize business impact from performance issues and/or planned and unplanned outages
- Other responsibilities as required.
- 3-5 years of industry experience or equivalent education
- Extensive UNIX administration experience
- BASH experience
- Some relational database administration and SQL
- Experience running websites via Nginx or Apache
- Python (or similar scripting language) experience preferred
- Industry certification a plus.
- Knowledge of public, private and hybrid cloud environments, automation tools, and Software Development Lifecycle methods (especially in a Lean Agile Environment)
- Knowledge of software development tools, Operating System, Virtual and Physical Infrastructure, Network topologies, and security models. Intermediate skills in MS products including Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and SharePoint.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field is preferred
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment, and to share knowledge with others. Good communication skills with a customer service focus.