EAB | Technology | Richmond, VA
EAB is an education best practices firm that uses a combination of research, technology, and services to improve the performance of 1,200+ educational institutions. Headquartered in Washington, D.C., EAB forges and finds the best new ideas and proven practices from its network of thousands of leaders, then customizes and hardwires them into every level of member organizations, creating enduring value.
At EAB, we serve not only our members but each other—that's why we are always working to make sure our employees love their jobs and are invested in their community. See how we've been recognized for this dedication to our employees by checking out our recent awards.
The Role in Brief:
Site Reliability Engineer
The Site Reliability Engineering team is responsible for building and improving EAB’s information systems’ dynamic server infrastructure -- making it more effective at running efficient, high-availability, open systems. The ideal candidate will have a complementary set of experiences and skills (software, systems, network engineering and systems administration, to name a few) and the inherent passion to automate systems operations. This role collaborates with the Information Technology and Engineering teams to provide a highly scalable and secure infrastructure.
This position is located in Richmond, VA
Engineer Automated Server Provisioning and Maintenance Tools
- Develop automated deployment methods for provisioning servers and applications that integrate with existing solutions
- Collaborate with Information Security, Information Technology, Engineering and Release teams for design requirements
- Develop solutions for clustered or HA services
- Develop solutions that are cognizant of geo-diversity needs
- Develop administration tools to service dynamic server environment
- Develop readable code, that is tracked in code versioning and logically branched
- Provide prompt response, communication, and support for on-call incidents
- Function as escalation point for other administrators
- Perform routine analysis of log, monitoring, and alerting systems to ensure a healthy “factory floor”
- Provide system support to internal and external customers
- Perform routine disaster recovery testing
- Perform in-depth troubleshooting, collaborate with teams, and document resolutions
Training, Communication, and Documentation
- Provide effective cross training to fellow team members
- Facilitate a mentoring friendly atmosphere among team members
- Produce coherent operational documentation
- Show a demonstrated ability to work constructively with an organized system administration team.
- 4+ years of hands-on experience supporting Linux systems in an enterprise environment (at least 100 servers), including intermediate expertise in Linux (preferably Redhat Enterprise Linux or CentOS) and scripting experience (e.g., Bash, Perl or Python)
- Intermediate expertise in a virtualization platform (VMware, XenCenter, Xen, or RHEV)
- Some software development experience; proficient in one or more programming languages; able to read and comprehend software code
- Detail oriented, analytical mindset, effective at problem solving and troubleshooting
- Flexible to work after hours and participate in on-call rotation
- Bachelor's degree
- Redhat Certification
- Prior automation experience
- Diverse experience in 24/7 operational environments
- Competency in data center storage and networking concepts
- Ability to administer Apache, Nginx, Postfix, MySQL, PostgresSQL, MongoDB, Cassandra, ActiveMQ, Java Web Applications Servers, bind, and other common open source tools
- Ability to administer common encryption technologies such as OpenSSH, OpenSSL, and GPG
- Demonstrate strong understanding of Unix programming design concepts
- Experience with automation tools such as Chef, Puppet, and Ansible (Especially Ansible!)
- Organized, self-motivated, able to multi-task and work independently as well as a team player
- Ability to effectively communicate (written and oral) in a customer-focused manner with technical and non-technical individuals
Consistent with our belief that our employees are our most valuable resource, EAB offers a competitive benefits package.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance, dependents eligible
- 401(k) retirement plan with company match
- Generous PTO
- Daytime leave policy for community service or fitness activities (up to 10 hours a month each)
- Wellness programs including gym discounts and incentives to promote healthy living
- Dynamic growth opportunities with merit-based promotion philosophy
- Benefits kick in day one, see the full details here.
At EAB, we believe that to fulfill our mission to “make education smarter and our communities stronger” we need team members who bring a diversity of perspectives to the table and a workplace where each team member is valued, respected and heard.
To that end, EAB is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we make employment decisions on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need. We don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law.