Software Developer II - Python / C++
CentralSquare Technologies | Development | Sioux Falls, SD
The Software Engineer is responsible for enhancing and maintaining existing applications, troubleshooting, and resolving defects in an agile team environment. The Software Engineer conducts tasks as assigned under moderate supervision with some latitude for independent judgment. The Software Engineer must demonstrate technical proficiency in his/her personal work as well as contribute to the team’s continued success by increasing his/her technical knowledge. This is sometimes a customer facing role, and the Software Engineer will communicate professionally and positively with CentralSquare clients.
- Reviews user stories, designs and implements the features, develops application prototypes, participates in design and code reviews, and programs (including unit testing).
- Develops new enhancements to products in the CentralSquare suite of applications. This includes participating in backlog grooming of requirements, design, and development.
- Provides maintenance on existing code for products in the CentralSquare suite of applications. This includes minor product changes and defect repairs.
- Provides a third-tier of support for the products in the CentralSquare suite of applications.
- Participates in Lean-Agile activities including back-log and sprint planning, stakeholder reviews, daily stand-ups, and retrospectives.
- Understands product architecture design, assisting the Software Architects as necessary.
- Operates as a resource to less experienced Software Engineers, providing an open learning environment for cross-team knowledge sharing. Shares technical knowledge in both one-on-one and group settings.
- Plays a role in design and code reviews for products throughout the CentralSquare suite of applications.
- Participates in creating and maintaining department standards for software development best practices.
- Requires the ability to work an On-Call shift lasting one or two weeks approximately four times per year.
- Able to continually pass background check requirements for working on and connecting to public safety information systems.
- Other responsibilities as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field preferred.
- 3-5 years of experience or equivalent education.
- Strong knowledge of data structures and algorithms
- Proficient with SQL and experience with at least one RDBMS
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of Software Development LifeCycle methodology, especially in a Lean-Agile environment.
- Knowledge of software development tools, and initiative and ability to learn and use technology to develop, enhance, test and/or maintain current product lines. Intermediate skills in MS products including Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint and SharePoint.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment, and to share knowledge with others. Good communication skills with a customer service focus.
- Very strong analytical and coding skills
- Able to work out of our Sioux Falls office