Director, Marketing Communications
Vertafore | Marketing | Denver, CO
We are seeking a highly-creative Communications strategist with a proven ability to run the business of internal and external communications including designing a communications plan tied to the company’s culture, values and business initiatives. The Director of Marketing/Communications/PR is responsible for the management and development of the corporate brand as well as any related product portfolio brands. This role owns brand strategy, brand advertising, integrated media and creative agency relationships.
He or she supports executive leadership as a communications adviser and strategist, overseeing public relations, analyst/influencer relations, creative design, content management and corporate brand strategy functions. Success in this role depends on the ability to translate business objectives into appealing brand narratives for target audiences.
The position reports to the VP, Marketing and has interactions with the Board of Directors, Executive Leadership Team, Senior Leadership Team, and other management staff in charting the direction of the Organization, assuring its accountability to all constituencies, and ensuring its effective operation. Within the Organization, the position has primary working relationships with the VP, Marketing, Executive Leadership Team, and staff of the Marketing department. Outside the organization, the position coordinates, primarily, with the media, PR firm, and other vendors as needed.
Marketing, communication, and public relations
1. Responsible for creating, implementing and measuring the success of: a comprehensive marketing, communications and public relations program that will enhance the Organization’s image and position within the marketplace and the general public, and facilitate internal and external communications; and, all Organization marketing, communications and public relations activities and materials including publications, media relations, client acquisition and so forth.
2. Ensure articulation of Organization’s desired image and position, assure consistent communication of image and position throughout the Organization, and assure communication of image and position to all constituencies, both internal and external.
3. Develop and maintain a referenceable, organization-wide set of brand guidelines that are simple enough to be followed, but thorough enough to encompass all required use cases
4. Act as a strategic adviser and/or lead in the event of a merger, acquisition or new product brand introduction
5. Implement protocols and best practices in anticipation of crisis management
6. Responsible for editorial direction, design, production and distribution of all Organization publications—including online and traditional media, both internally and externally.
7. Coordinate media interest in the Organization and ensure regular contact with target media and appropriate response to media requests and act as the Organization’s representative with the media.
8. Ensure that the Organization regularly conducts relevant market research and coordinate and oversee this activity. Monitor trends.
9. Leads projects as assigned, such as cause-related marketing and special events.
Planning and budgeting
1. Responsible for the achievement of marketing/communications/public relations mission, goals and financial objectives. Ensure that evaluation systems are in place related to these goals and objectives and report progress to the VP, Marketing and Executive Leadership Team.
2. Develop short-and long-term plans and budgets for the marketing/communications/ public relations program and its activities, monitor progress, assure adherence and evaluate performance.
3. Recommend short-and long-term Organization goals and objectives to the VP, Marketing.
4. Develop, implement and monitor systems and procedures necessary to the smooth operation of the marketing/communications/public relations function.
5. Keep informed of developments in the fields of marketing, communications and public relations, corporate management and governance, the insurance and technology industries, and use this information to help the Organization operate with initiative and innovation.
Organizational Strategy Managing
1. Maintain a climate that attracts, retains and motivates top quality personnel.
2. Recruit, train, appraise, supervise, support, develop, promote and guide qualified personnel.
3. Ensure effective management within the marketing, communications and public relations function, with provision for succession.
4. Design, support and oversee cross-functional teams throughout the Organization.
5. Effectively enable staff so they can take action on behalf of the Organization by:
a) transmitting the Organization’s values, vision and direction;
b) engaging people in the meaning of the Organization;
c) respecting and using the skills, expertise, experience and insights of people;
d) providing direction and resources, removing barriers and helping develop people’s skills; articulating expectations and clarifying roles and relationships;
e) communicating which includes helping people transform information into knowledge and learning;
f) encouraging people to question organizational assumptions and ask strategic questions; ensuring quality decision-making;
g) anticipating conflicts and facilitating resolution;
h) engaging people in process as well as tasks; encouraging people use their power,
i) practice their authority, and accept their responsibility;
j) modeling behavior; and
k) coaching people to success.
- 10 or more years corporate communications or related experience, B-B experience
- Hands-on corporate public relations experience, ideally within the same or similar industry
- Demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in the design and execution of marketing, communications and public relations activities, including managing a large team and collaborating on complex projects
- Strong creative, strategic, analytical, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Experience developing and managing budgets, and hiring, training, developing, supervising and appraising personnel.
- Demonstrated successful experience writing press releases, making presentations and negotiating with media.
- Experience overseeing the design and production of print and electronic materials and publications.
- Computer literacy in word processing, video editing, and website creation.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- Out-of-town, overnight travel is required.
- Project management
- Strong written/oral communications
- Messaging and positioning
- Budget management
- Strategic, objective-driven planning and reporting
- Trusted adviser to senior executives