Senior Software Engineer
Advanced | Development | Ashford, England
Advanced Health and Care is a leading supplier of IT Solutions to the Healthcare sector.
Adastra is the market leading patient management system for unscheduled care across England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland and the Netherlands.
We are the market leader for 111 services, with over 85% of Out-of-Hours GP services across the UK and ROI. Adastra is a clinical case management, integration services and 24x7 technology infrastructure solution from Advanced Health and Care.
More than 14 million episodes of care are managed, connected, integrated and measured annually across Europe using Adastra. 100% committed to open-systems and interoperability, Adastra is fully engaged in connected care – in product, in spirit and in action.
We are embarking on a large scale project to centralise and deliver a National Wales 111 service. This is a high value exciting project against predefined goals with demanding deadlines. It will be challenging and require a high level of commitment and expertise from a highly skilled team to succeed.
As a Senior Developer you are an ambitious high-achiever who strives for technical excellence from yourself and your team; employing the best practices and tools to create market leading solutions.
What you will be doing
- Provide technical expertise and direction; working closely with the Principle Engineering and Architecture teams to ensure technology moves forward
- Translate software requirements into concise and robust and exemplary program code
- Drive innovation and collaboration in solution design across the team
- Working with our QA team based off-shore in India
- Work closely with the Product Owner to refine requirements, estimate development effort and gain their acceptance of the solution.
- Working closely with the Test Analyst, use effective automated and manual testing techniques at various levels to ensure the software is correct, performant and robust.
- Identify improvements to existing application code and designs, increasing flexibility and reducing future effort.
- Produce and update technical product documentation that describes the system and its operation.
- Encourage and foster XP techniques and agile software development always
- Work with third-parties, attending meetings and interacting to maintain domain expertise and ensure activities like compliance are achieved
- Work with NHS Digital collaboratively to develop cutting edge specifications to facilitate the latest developments in the Urgent Care domain
- Triage, investigate and resolve software defects with the minimum impact and risk.
- Further your knowledge across the AHC product suite and become an expert in specific products and components as required
As a Senior Developer you will be expected to deliver excellence in everything you do. Work at pace and always do the right thing. Work collaboratively, applying your technical expertise, so you will:
- Identify problems and take action and responsibility for resolving them
- Aim for self-improvement and continuous learning
- Ask for help and help others
- Clearly explain and discuss technical points with both technical and non-technical people
- Say what you will do by when and work to do it in time
- Appreciate challenge and feedback from colleagues
What you will be good at
You are a leader not a follower, and have a passion for all things connected with software development and an avid interest in technology. You have excellent experience working in Scrum teams and advocating good agile practices. You have worked on high quality enterprise level solutions, across the whole software development life cycle.
You establish productive working relationships with your team and other colleagues, both technical and non-technical. As a senior member of the team you lead the way but also work collaboratively as part of a team to deliver on shared commitments. You are a self-starter and able to plan and manage your own workload. You have a passion for mentoring and coaching less senior members of the team. You enjoy working with technologies that are new to you, and taking on additional roles that help the team make progress.
What we would like you to have
You have sound understanding and experience with:
- Software development principles, patterns and practices, such as SOLID
- Modern software language capabilities such as object-orientation, generics, first-class functions, dynamically and statically typed languages
- Agile development methodologies and practices, including SCRUM
- Test-driven development with a test framework such as xUnit
- Source Control with TFS, Git and GitHub
- Coaching and mentoring of Developers, and leading development projects
You have a good understanding of:
- SQL databases, preferably Microsoft SQL Server
- C#/.NET and Visual Studio
- WinForms, WCF, SOAP, WSDL, REST applied in enterprise environments
- CI/CD development pipelines using tools such as Jenkins, Team City, JFrog Artifactory
- Packaging systems such as Bower, NPM, Nuget, Docker.
The following would be beneficial:
- .Net Core
- Healthcare software development including standards such as
- HL7, FHIR, SNOMED, and OpenEHR
- Experience with the UK based health market
- Open Source development
- Agile certifications such as CSM
Reimagine your Future by Joining the Advanced Team
We hire for potential, and develop at pace.
Our entry-level hiring strategy is all about identifying potential. At Advanced, we don’t believe in CVs. We passionately believe that your individual personality and core strengths are what can make you right for us. We assess you for behavioural fit and not for past experiences. We want you to learn, to discover, to experiment, to make a difference.
With a £225m turnover, 16,000 customers and 2,200 employees we pride ourselves on delivering focused software solutions for the public sector, enterprise commercial and health & care organisations that simplify complex business challenges and deliver immediate value.
Some of our Key Benefits from day one are:
- Generous Annual Leave - 25 days annual leave plus localised public holidays, with the ability to buy additional days
- Stunning office locations across 5 key hubs
- Charity Fundraising - Proud to be a Patron of The Prince's Trust
- Dedicated talent development team to help your Advanced career progress
- Top Achievers Club – our internal award scheme recognising excellence in our Advanced colleagues
- Pension Scheme (up to 5% matched contribution)
- Life insurance x 4 times salary
- Income protection insurance
- Childcare voucher (salary sacrifice)
- Cycle to work scheme (salary sacrifice)
- Employee assistance programme
Why should you apply? Advanced are different – we hire for potential and develop at pace so if you can reimagine your future in a vibrant growing company we would like to hear from you. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to removing bias from the hiring process.
If your application is successful, you will initially be required to take an online assessment, undertake a telephone interview with the HR team and attend a final interview/ Assessment Centre. Do not hesitate, apply now and a member of our in-house talent acquisition team will be in touch!