Software Architect (Higher Ed)
PowerSchool | Higher Education | Austin, TX
The Software Architect, under the general direction of the VP, Development HE, is responsible for setting the strategic direction of our offerings and infuse our culture with fresh ideas and perspectives. The Software Architect will assist in setting the strategic direction and define the principles that shape our software development and technology adoption practices. As a leader in the development organization this person will be responsible building a culture that inspires technical experimentation and empowers our development teams to make sound technical and architectural decisions. This position is with our Higher Ed portion, PeopleAdmin, a PowerSchool Company
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Perform architectural analysis and design for systems spanning PowerSchool products and services portfolio
- Partner with various business stakeholders and technology leaders to translate program requirements into technical solutions and system designs
- Document and communicate designs, estimates, and implementation plans to program stakeholders
- Collaborate with other members of the R&D team, including architects and technical leads, to evaluate solutions and gain consensus on technical direction
- Research, design, test, and evaluate new technologies and vendor solutions
- Implement POCs and pair with technical leads on implementations
- Maintain an organization-wide view of current and future business and application architecture to provide solutions that integrate into the overall architectural vision and strategy
- Provide leadership and expertise in the development of standards, architectural governance, design patterns, and practices
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field required; Master’s degree in Computer Science or related field preferred
- 4+ years’ experience delivering web applications at scale in public or private clouds
- 7+ years’ experience in Software Engineer roles developing designs, frameworks, standards, patterns and facilitating their use by teams of
- 5+ years’ experience with SOA Product Domain Application and Data Integration experience for Web Services Platforms and Messaging Systems.
- Experience architecting microservices and APIs in a Multi-Tenant environment.
- Experience building and deploying Ruby on Rails, Java, or .Net web applications; cross-platform expertise a plus.
- Ability to work with current software design principles and concepts such as patterns, algorithms, data structures, dependency injection, MV**, SOA, n-tier architecture, monolithic vs micro services, immutable server
- Experience with Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, PostgreSQL, RDBMS or NoSQL Databases
- Experience with Ruby, Node.js, or .Net is a plus
- Understanding of the following:
- Normalization and best practices on when to use function, views, stored procedures and transactions
- Maintenance and backup strategies to communicate with DBA team
- Change control and deployment procedures
- Translates complex business needs and problems into innovative, technical, and world class solutions.
- Excellent communication skills where you can articulate solutions with people who have different skill sets.
- Communicate project status on regular basis. Ensure stakeholders are effectively informed in a timely manner.
- Ensures optimum performance, scalability, and usability with solid architectural standards.
- Develop prototypes, proofs of concept (to validate new architectures and solutions)
- Write complex queries to solve difficult problems from application developers