Software Development Manager
CentralSquare Technologies | Development | Lake Mary, FL
CentralSquare is a leading provider of software and services aligned to serve five key customer segments – Public Administration, Public Safety and Justice, State Government, Federal Government and Nonprofit Agencies.
Our products are designed to power amazing public experiences. The combined background and knowledge of our employees helps our customers power their work, from police officers responding to life-saving calls to city managers balancing budget and communicating with constituents. Over 175 million people in North America live in communities that rely on our products and services.
This position will lead multiple teams that are responsible for development of a CentralSquare product suite. Our applications operate on a variety of Windows operating systems with SQL Server database back ends.
This position will guide the teams towards sustainable high performance by engaging the team in improvement of development practices, and by generally promoting a culture of continuous process improvement. This position will also consult with internal subject matter experts to understand how requested changes may affect software functionality when appropriate. This position can have multiple assistant managers reporting, with those individuals responsible for the day to day operation of individual teams.
This opportunity involves engaging and mentoring Developers across design, architecture, coding, and methodology. You will be a leader who interacts with the Development, Dev Ops, Documentation, Product Management and Quality Teams as well as other facets of the business inside and outside of CentralSquare. This position includes hands-on development and the chance to learn other programming languages and frameworks.
The Manager will play an active role in collaborating with the Product Owner, the team and stakeholders, in order to groom the product backlog of a given product suite. This position is also responsible for collaborating with team members in finding solutions to the team’s challenges as well as ensuring that all commitments are met. Additionally, the Manager will have the responsibility of delivering product enhancements, and maintenance items to customers. End customer collaboration will be expected to ensure we are delivering in a manner that creates happy, satisfied customers.
This position will be responsible for managing active projects. This includes, but is not limited to tracking active projects, keeping track of resource availability, organizing development artifacts, and planning/executing the agile methodology chosen by CentralSquare, Scrum.
The Manager will work closely with management to ensure that company goals are being met and to convey necessary information to both management and their team.
This position may require occasional travel.
Other Essential Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Oversees teams consisting of 4 or more people.
- Oversees Assistant Managers responsible for one or more teams.
- Works with Directors and Product Managers for Roadmap planning and Release Planning.
- Receives assignments in the form of objectives; may determine how to use resources to meet schedules, objectives and goals. It is expected that upper level management will provide this position with coaching & guidance, as needed. Shares accountability for goal attainment.
- Provides guidance to subordinates. Monitors progress & ensures attainment of goals. Manages the coordination of the activities of a section or department through subordinates. May become actively involved in daily work, as required, to meet schedules and resolve problems. Mentors staff to exhibit a leadership mindset.
- Recommends changes to policies and establishes procedures that affect immediate unit. Handles management as well as daily work duties. Ensures processes are in place & goals are met for knowledge transfer.
- Demonstrate leadership characteristics such as: coaching others for leadership development, setting goals and motivating for goal achievement, demonstrating effective communication skills.
- Frequently interacts with subordinates, customers and/or functional peer group managers, normally involving matters between functional areas or customers and the company. Interaction normally requires the ability to gain cooperation of others; conducting presentations of technical information concerning specific projects or schedules. Often must lead a cooperative effort among members of a project team.
- Communicate effectively in both verbal (day-to-day discussions, team meetings) and written forms (test artifacts). Will be required to present at technical sessions and facilitate meetings.
- In addition to the above, candidates must demonstrate strong skills in the following areas:
- Project Management
- Process improvement mindset
- Facilitation of intradepartmental and interdepartmental work relationships
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- A positive, can-do attitude
- BS/BA in Computer Science or equivalent experience in public sector market knowledge is highly desirable.
- Experience developing within a complex enterprise application
- Expertise with public facing web sites that have PII security requirements
- Expertise with CI/CD pipelines
- Experience with cloud deployments
- Experience with Docker or other container management
- Excellent communication skills in English (both written & spoken)
- 3+ years of profession experience leading high performance development teams
- 5+ years professional experience with one or more of the following areas:
- Knowledge in one or more of CentralSquare's applications
- .NET 4.x Frameworks
- C#, ASP.NET, C++
- SQL Server, IIS
- Web Services (REST, SOAP, WCF)
- SQL Server
- Angular JS, RxJS
- MS Web API, MVC, .NET Core, VB.Net
- Knowledge in one or more of the following areas is desired:
- Microsoft VSTS/Azure DevOps