Senior Platform Engineer
Upserve | Technology | Providence, RI
We’re on the hunt for a talented Senior Engineer to join our team. Upserve’s Platform Engineers are an integral member of the small team that is powering Upserve. They architect and scale the backend data processing infrastructure for our analytics, mobile, and payments platforms. They build the network that handles billions of dollars and volumes of restaurant data. And they work closely with Product, UX, and Dev Ops to coordinate efforts, iterate on features, anticipate future customer needs, and inform the product roadmap.
In a typical week at Upserve, you would…
- Kick off the week by participating in sprint planning, and discuss relevant topics with engineering peers.
- Participate in an Architectural Decision Record to develop a new feature or framework.
- Collaborate with our Product and UX team to develop backend interfaces and clarify product requirements.
- Merge your latest feature that will drive product adoption.
- Participate in a blameless postmortem to help improve our application platform.
- Present what you shipped this week at our weekly science fair.
- Work on some of the most difficult and meaty problems that the company faces.
- Share your knowledge with other developers through mentorship.
You are humble yet confident, forward-looking but grounded, thorough yet fast-moving -- in short, you are someone whom people want to work with.
- Have 3+ years of professional experience in building software
- Build correct, well-tested systems and components, driving clarity even given loose direction and requirements
- Take pride in your work and the value that it creates
- Are a pragmatic idealist -- you strive for efficient and practical solutions not just theoretically ideal ones
- Are a believer in moving fast with high quality; Speed and craftsmanship are friends not enemies
- Enjoy talking about user functionality as much as you enjoy talking about functional programming
- Feel a tremendous sense of urgency to get value to our customers, and you tap into that energy to drive, lead and motivate your colleagues to win
- Have worked with server-side frameworks like Ruby on Rails
- Have built, optimized, and scaled real-time, event-driven, fault-tolerant, and distributed systems
- Get excited about statistical methods and algorithms, and know when to choose the right data structure for the right task
- Know when to employ different storage technologies (e.g. relational, simple file-based, graph-based, noSQL)
This position is based in our Providence, Rhode Island HQ and is eligible fora flexible work schedule/ partial remote work.