Senior Project Manager
Aptean | Business Operations | Toronto, Ontario
The Senior Project Manager oversees the planning, implementation, and tracking of customer and internal projects.
Senior Project Managers ensure the project is completed on time and within budget, that the project's objectives are met and that everyone else is doing their job properly. Projects require a group of people to work together to achieve a set of specific objectives. Senior Project Managers oversee the project to ensure the desired result is achieved, the most efficient resources are used and the different interests involved are satisfied.
May involve travel to customer sites.
Knowledge: As an expert in the field, uses professional concepts in developing resolution to critical issues and broad design matters.
Complexity: Works on issues that impact design/selling success or address future concepts, products or technologies. Creates formal networks with key decision makers and can serve as external spokesperson for the organization.
Supervision: Exercises wide latitude in determining objectives and approaches to critical assignments. Acts as a bridge between departments or functions.
- Plan the project
- Define the scope of the project in collaboration with senior management.
- Create a detailed work plan which identifies and sequences the activities needed to successfully complete the project.
- Determine the resources (time, money, equipment, etc) required to complete the project.
- Develop a schedule for project completion that effectively allocates the resources to the activities.
- Review the project schedule with senior management and all other staff that will be affected by the project activities; revise the schedule as required.
- Determine the objectives and measures upon which the project will be evaluated at its completion.
- Staff the project
- In consultation with the appropriate manager, recruit, interview and select staff and/or volunteers with appropriate skills for the project activities.
- Manage project staff according to the established policies and practices of the organization.
- Ensure that all project personnel receive an appropriate orientation to the organization and the project.
- Contract qualified consultants to work on the project as appropriate.
- Implement the project
- Execute the project according to the project plan.
- Set up document repository to ensure that all project information is appropriately documented and secured.
- Monitor the progress of the project and make adjustments as necessary to ensure the successful completion of the project.
- Establish a communication schedule to update stakeholders including appropriate staff in the organization on the progress of the project.
- Review the quality of the work completed with the project team on a regular basis to ensure that it meets the project standards.
- Control the project
- Manages revenue goals set for projects.
- Accurately forecasts revenue, profitability, margins, bill rates and utilization across projects.
- Sets expectations upward regarding revenue and profitability projections.
- Performs as the initial management escalation point for any project related issues.
- Minimizes exposure and risk on projects.
- Evaluate the project
- Ensure that the project deliverables are on time, within budget and at the required level of quality.
- Evaluate the outcomes of the project as established during the planning phase.
- Knowledge Management
- Create KB articles and documents using the Knowledge Centered Support (KCS) methodology, to be published and shared both internally and with the customer base.
- Ensure a professional communication manner when in-person or in writing or on the phone at all times.
- Ensure that all internal and external customer interactions are handled professionally and with the highest level of service, follow-through and consistently keep commitments.
- Business Development
- Leads proposal efforts including completing project scoping and assessments.
- Effectively conveys our message in both written and verbal business development discussions.
- Works in conjunction with the sales team to follow up on sales leads within practice and ensure seamless handover between presales and project.
- Grows long-term relationships with clients.
- Additional Duties
- Provide Project Management duties for the following type of projects.
- Large revenue projects.
- Complex requirements and/or scope.
- High risk projects.
- Complex or difficult customer relationships.
Typically requires a minimum of 8-10 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree; or 8 years and a Master’s degree; or a PhD with 6 years' experience; or equivalent experience. Typical range is 10-13 years.
Depending on position, experience can range from 7-10 years. Has work experience in professional services or support.
Skills & Abilities
- Very good educational background, preferably in the fields of computer science or engineering.
- Proven working experience in project management in the information technology sector.
- Solid technical background with understanding and/or hands-on experience in software development and web technologies.
- Solid track record of relevant commercial experience
- Excellent client-facing and internal communication skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Solid organizational skills including attention to detail and multi-tasking skills.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- PMP / PRINCE II certification is a plus.
- Personal Characteristics – Enthusiastic, Works well under pressure, Self-motivated.