Principal Software Engineer
Cvent | Technology | Chicago, IL
Are you passionate about software?
Is coding as much art as it is science?
Do you like the challenge of building great products that are feature rich – but also easy to use?
Would you like to work in a collaborative environment where sharing knowledge and ideas is not only encouraged – but expected?
If you answered yes to all the above, then you belong at Kapow by Cvent!
We are looking for Principal Software Engineers to join our rapidly growing Technology Team. Kapow’s Technology Team is responsible for the design, development, and operation of the company’s suite of cloud-based software products.
Who We Are
Kapow, now a Cvent company, is an industry-leading event platform that allows companies to find, book and manage memorable, scalable and essential corporate events. We help companies grow revenue quickly by combining 10,000+ unique, pre-packaged experiences, national partnerships with restaurants, retailers and other special event venues, and the service and expertise of local event experts. Kapow empowers customers to drive stakeholder collaboration, boost attendance, fill pipeline, measure success and produce bottom-line results from their event programs. Based in Chicago, we operate all over the U.S. and in select international markets.
What You Will Be Doing
- Work on large-scale Internet applications, where performance, reliability and scalability, are critical design goals – not after-thoughts.
- Developing beautiful, interactive and easy to use features for the Kapow platform using Ruby on Rails, React with MySQL backend and ElasticSearch
- Lead and mentor teams of dedicated engineers to build powerful products in an iterative Agile environment.
- Collaborative code reviews with programming peers
What You Need for this Position
For this particular role, we’re looking for individuals that can not only contribute at a senior level, but can also make the whole team better by mentoring other team members. This role is hands on – you’ll get to design and code along with performing code reviews, providing mentorship, and planning team assignments. Aside from that, the prerequisites for joining our development team are simple. We care more about your attitude and aptitude than the specific tools and technologies you have used in the past. You need to have a strong passion for software development and must take pride in your coding. You should also have great analytical skills and ability to handle complex, modular software development in a collaborative team-based environment.
In addition to this, you will have a leg up if you also meet the following criteria:
- 2-5 years of experience leading and mentoring other software engineers.
- 5-10 years of programming experience in one of the following: Ruby on Rails, Java, node.js ideally with Web Services and API development
- Experience with developing microservices
- Experience with one or more of the following datastores: ElasticSearch, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Redis, or other NoSQL technologies
- Experience using Amazon AWS platform
- BS, MS or PhD in Computer Science OR related technical discipline.
Kapow offers a fun, collegial work environment tailored to sharpening your technical and professional skills. While we have evolved from startup to mid-sized company, our Technology Team has preserved an entrepreneurial and merit-driven culture where meaningful initiative and contribution are recognized and rewarded.