PowerSchool | Product Management | Folsom, CA
The Data Engineer is responsible for the technical design and development effort of custom data applications and integrations. Development will include creating data pipeline applications to extract, transform and load data from a variety of data systems, adding any custom automations and unit testing. The primary focus of this position is to produce high-quality data pipelines to facilitate research and analytics applications.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work under general direction with the ability to act independently when determining methods and procedures on new or existing functionality.
- Mentor less experienced team members
- Manage time constraints and deadlines.
- Devise or modify procedures to solve complex problems considering system capacity and limitations, operating time, and form of desired results.
- Work on complex projects and problems where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of various factors and additional specialized technical knowledge.
- Work with Strategic Success Consultants to determine and refine feature requirements.
- Participate in design and code review.
- Work in a team environment as well as independently.
- Define and document system designs as they relate to feature work. Feature design, coding, unit testing, debugging, and documentation.
To be considered for and to perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- BS/MS in Computer Science or a related field
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ development experience
- Knowledge of Windows Server, centOS
- Must have strong knowledge of Python and SQL
- Experience building and consuming RESTful APIs
- Knowledge of object-oriented design principles
- Knowledge of the concept of writing Clean Code and taking pride in producing high quality work
- Must have familiarity with relational databases: MySQL
- Must have strong knowledge of Amazon Web Services tools: RDS, S3, Redshift, EC2, VPC, ELB, IAM, CloudWatch
- Experience implementing, unit testing, debugging and integrating code of moderate complexity
- Must have demonstrated critical thinking skills, ability to accurately analyze information and make sound decisions
- Must have demonstrated ability to take initiative and accountability for achieving results
- Must be able to prioritize tasks
- Must be able to be pro-active in research as well as know when to ask for help
- Knowledge of Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) and reusable components
- Familiarty with Business Intelligence tools: Tableau, Power BI
- Bonus points for experience developing back end for Power BI Emedded
- Bonus points for Network / Site Reliability Engineering experience