PowerSchool | R&D | Bethlehem, PA
PowerSchool is seeking a Senior Database Engineer for its PS SIS, iNOW and Trillium teams. This position, under the general direction of the Lead and/or Manager, Software Engineering, will be responsible for technical and development support for our award-winning K-12 software. The successful candidate will also be responsible for the overall management and maintenance of information databases used to operate IT applications and systems within an agile environment. The Database Engineer partners with application development teams and infrastructure operations to ensure that database performance is not hindered and performance standards adhere to service level agreements set with the enterprise.
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Data Design and Modelling
- Implement proper database design structure based on best practices and relational concepts
- Define how data will be stored, consumed, integrated, and managed by different data entities and applications.
- Design and develop complex in application SQL queries and appropriate database code such as stored procedures, triggers, functions, indexes, constraints etc.to support complex business processes.
- Assist and Mentor development staff in database design and optimization to evolve the overall level of systems expertise of the group
- Model and document existing and new databases
- Database Maintenance
- Responsible for execution of day to day tasks related to monitoring and managing relational database management systems
- Performs root cause analysis on trended database incidents, performance tuning and major outages up through the application stack
- Develops automation that can trigger off a variety of industry standard monitoring tools to resolve common issues in the environment or maintain operating levels
- Prepare DB packages for all products.
- Troubleshooting full spectrum of database issues, from general server status to exceptions and other business logic failures related to the data structure
- Performance Tuning
- Review application queries, query plans, and other performance aspects of databases.
- Respond to and resolve database performance issues includes SQL statement tuning
- Monitor databases to assess how servers are performing.
- Continuously evaluate the database performance to help minimize response times, maximize throughput and yield optimal performance.
- Thoroughly understand the application requirements, the logical and physical structure of the data, assess database usage, and negotiate tradeoffs
To be considered for and to perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- 6+ years’ experience as Database Engineer
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or equivalent degree
- Advanced handson experience working with Oracle andSQL Server, or Amazon Arora
- Strong working knowledge of NoSQL Databases
- Strong working knowledge of IIS, 2 layer applications
- Strong working knowledge of Shell Scripting, Batch Scripting, and Perl Scripting.
- Experience with remote management and IT automation tools Remote Desktop, Chef, Salt, Ansible, and the CLI
- Experience with web analytic technologies, reporting applications and products leveraging technologies such as Python, Java, Scala, Akka, ETL, Data warehousing, ODS, Analytics, NoSQL etc, is a plus.
- Familiarity with the functionality of Disaster Recovery, Virtualization, and CRM products
- Knowledge of private and public Cloud providers
- Strong problem-solving ability