Associate Systems Engineer / Systems Engineer
PowerSchool | Support | Bengaluru, Karnataka
Systems Engineer installs, deploys, maintains, configures and upgrades application software and monitors hardware server operations, analyses, optimizes, configures, evaluates, debugs, administers internal and PowerSchool customer network environments.
Systems Engineer uses their understanding of emerging technologies, industry best practices, and system requirements to recommend and incorporate specific elements of architecture, software, and hardware components in designing, troubleshooting, and optimizing network environments.
Systems Engineer supports opportunities for process improvement, reengineering, and automation to improve customer satisfaction and reduce costs. Systems Engineer is expected to leverage their expertise and skillset and may be asked to provide guidance and mentorship to peers during informal knowledge transfer opportunities and formalized training.
Systems Engineer will document all aspects of projects and solutions including its design, maintenance, administration and support.
Systems Engineer may be called upon to act as a point of escalation for needs within and outside of conventional business hours in advance or an on-call capacity.
Duties and Responsibilities
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following.
- 5+ years of experience as a System Administrator
- 5+ years of experience in installations, deployments, and upgradation of software releases on hosted and on-prem servers
- Strong working knowledge of Windows, Unix/Linux, Tomcat
- Strong working knowledge of Networking, load balancing, network performance by monitoring performance, troubleshooting network problems and outages, optimizing network environment, scheduling upgrades and collaborating
- Strong working knowledge of Shell Scripting, Batch Scripting, and Perl Scripting
- Experience with database administration (MYSQL, MS SQL, and Oracle) is required
- Experience in applications/infrastructure monitoring, monitoring tools and providing customer technology support
- Experience with remote management and IT automation tools
- Experience in Incident, Problem and Change managements
- Knowledge of Private and Public Cloud
- Willing to work in 24x7 shifts
- Willing to work on weekend shifts
- Ability to work a late or early shift aligned with International operation hours and on occasion provides on-call support during off business hours and weekends
- Must have strong verbal and written communication skills to interact with customers via phone and email
- Ultra-reliable, highly motivated, self-driven, who can collaborate and live with TSG culture
- Knowledge of PowerSchool, K12 education or ERP domain is a plus
- Remote support of on-site engineers and end users/customers during installation
- Remote troubleshooting and root cause analysis of networking issues
To be considered for and to perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or other technical discipline is desired. One or more certifications indicating formal training and expertise with the design, analysis, deployment, integration, optimization, troubleshooting, and consultation of technical or project management disciplines is desired.
- 4-9 years’ experience in installation, deployment, designing, implementing, maintaining, and supporting network infrastructures in multi-platform environments
- Strong command of networking protocols and understanding of the OSI or TCP/IP model
- Database administration skills and understanding of troubleshooting
- Work within a larger project team or department in a fast-paced, dynamic, and demanding environment
- Use time wisely, efficiently, and independently to understand, communicate, and resolve problems in situations where little supervision, standardization, or information exists
- Ability to work concurrently on projects of varying size/scope, complexity, and duration
- Ability to assist in oversight of projects by accurately scoping responsibilities, estimating level of effort, assessing outcomes, and mitigating risk caused by new product releases or other factors
- Ability to anticipate, recognize, mitigate, and resolve potential problems with rigorous problem-solving skills to identify decisions and solutions consistent with project goals
- Ability to convey information and ideas verbally and in writing in a clear and concise manner using language, grammar, terminology, and jargon appropriate for the intended audience
- Demonstrable ability to scrutinize existing business processes to improve efficiency, quality, and efficacy of services through automation and other programming
- Demonstrable ability to anticipate impact of decisions before executing them by perceiving and evaluating alternatives and looking beyond the obvious
- Ability to work varied shifts including weekends, as needed or permanent basis
Relevant certifications include:
• Cisco Certified Networking Associate (CCNA), • Cisco Certified Networking Professional (CCNP), • Cisco Certified Design Associate (CCDA) or other vendor specific courses, such as Juniper Certified Internet Expert (JNCIE);
• Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE) and/or • Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA);
• CompTIA A+ and CompTIA Network+ certification