Principal Architect (DevOps)
Vertafore | Development | Denver, CO
As a Principal Architect you will provide technical direction and support for Vertafore’s corporate vision with both a deep and broad specialization in multiple domain areas. You will help the CTO and Enterprise Architecture Team unify products and systems to a common platform, define standard principles and frameworks for consistency across Vertafore, and provide knowledge and support to the Vertafore development community to increase adoption of enterprise or domain-specific standards.
Your communication skills will help disseminate our technical vision, guidelines, and technologies to other architects and developments teams, Product Management, Operations teams, and Executives across Vertafore.
Principal Architects translate business requirements into implementable technology solutions that balance cost, speed of delivery, and value while leveraging existing technologies and standards whenever possible.
As a hands-on architect you will work with teams of engineers to transform the way our customers do business. The challenges you will face include designing our next generation of cloud based products, building micro service-based applications that can deliver flexible capabilities to different user bases, and providing technical leadership to teams to achieve Vertafore’s product vision through active mentoring, technical decision-making, and driving and facilitating company-wide collaboration.
Core requirements and responsibilities:
Essential job functions included but are not limited to the following:
- Architect and implement DevOps support for Highly scalable and available MicroServices-based applications, including build, deploy, management, and observability
- Provide support in upgrading DevOps infrastructure for existing products and greenfield development
- Coordinate with software development teams in developing and implementing software applications
- Mentor Sr. Engineers, Architects and Sr. Architects in both DevOps and application development
- Assist Managers in analyzing project requirements and project design
- Evaluate and recommend tools, technologies and processes ensuring highest quality product platform
- Collaborate with peer organizations to develop software applications
- Troubleshoot code level problems quickly and efficiently
- Assist in development of design documents, white papers, training documents and software architectural documents
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) expertise with a DevOps and QOS mindset is critical to success in this role
- Experience architecting, building, deploying, and managing microservice-based SaaS applications using Kubernetes, Docker, and related technologies in a multi-tenant cloud environment
- Deep understanding of micro-service-based architectures and building performing, scalable and durable solutions in cloud environments
- Solid experience in the administration and performance tuning of application stacks
- Cloud Application Design patterns and frameworks (for e.g. service discovery, circuit breaker, and 12 factor)
- Experience with various access control models and standards, including SSO and ID Federation
- Proficient in NoSQL and Relational Databases. PostgreSQL experience desired
- Experience with event-driven architectures and messaging systems (Kafka, Kinesis)
- Working knowledge in application, system, and network security
- Demonstrable interest in emerging / nascent technologies
- Highly proficient in communicating technical issues with developers, product owners, executives, and other stakeholders
- Experience acting as a technical liaison between Product Management, Development, and Operations
- Able to express complex concepts in plain language for greater understanding across teams / departments
- Experience with producing System Architecture diagrams and supporting documentation
- Extensive experience planning, leading, and reporting on code reviews
- 10+ years’ experience designing and building software applications
- Full stack development experience
Additional Requirements and Details:
- Travel required up to 10% of the time.
- This position is located in an office setting
- Occasional lifting and/or moving up to 10 pounds
- Frequent repetitive hand and arm movements required to operate a computer.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision (working on a computer, etc.)
- Frequent sitting and/or standing
Vertafore is a drug free workplace and conducts preemployment drug and background screenings.
The selected candidate must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the job responsibilities, duties, skill, or working conditions. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. In addition, this document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at will" relationship.
Vertafore strongly supports equal employment opportunity for all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law.