Database Administrator III
MINDBODY | Information Technology
Company Overview - https://company.mindbodyonline.com/
The Database Administrator III is largely responsible for providing operational database services to the organization. Some of the primary responsibilities of this role include: owning, tracking and resolving database related incidents and requests, fulfilling requests and resolving incidents within SLAs, reviewing service related reports (e.g.: database backups, maintenance, monitoring) on a daily basis to ensure service related issues are identified and resolved within established SLAs, responding to database related alerts and escalations and working with other colleagues in Engineering to come up with strategic solutions to recurring problems. This role requires a service oriented mentality, high sense of ownership of problems and requests assigned, focus on managing and resolving issues in alignment with the SLAs, establishing and maintaining communication within the entire Engineering team and with internal and external customers to keep them updated with status of their requests, initiating and performing changes on production systems and proactively escalating any issues that cannot be resolved within the established timeframes.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- 4 years of MSSQL database administration experience (SQL 2008 preferred)
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent degree is required
- Ability to create and follow written procedures
- Experience in troubleshooting and resolving database problems
- Experience in Performance Tuning and Optimization (PTO), using native monitoring and troubleshooting tools
- Experience with backups, restores and database recovery models
- Knowledge of High Availability (HA) and Disaster Recovery (DR) options for MSSQL Server
- Ability to independently learn new technologies through research and vendor provided documentation
- Ability to work independently and proactively with a minimum of supervision
- Experience in implementing operational automation (PowerShell 2.0 and/or C# preferred).
- Knowledge of indexes, index management, and statistics (preferred)
- Experience working with Windows server, including Active Directory and proper disk configurations (preferred)
- Experience with virtualization technologies (e.g. VMWare), particularly virtualization of MSSQL (preferred)
- Experience with designing and troubleshooting DTS packages (preferred)
- A basic understanding of Storage Area Network concepts and technologies (preferred)
- Effective communication and documentation skills (preferred)
- Involvement with the MSSQL Server Community; membership in PASS, active in forums or newsgroups (preferred)
- Certification is a plus: MCTS, MCITP, MVP (preferred)
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists in planning, implementing and maintaining a production MSSQL database server environment
- Supports a robust security program by following best practices related to the database server environment
- Participates in rotating schedule for designated second-level responder duties that require on-call availability 24x7 during scheduled period
- Responds to database-oriented Engineering helpdesk requests
- Maintains automation scripts written in PowerShell and updates as needed for new processes
- Researches new database-related technologies and can provide a spoken presentation or training session to Engineering and IT Operations team
- Maintains system performance by performing system monitoring and analysis, and performance tuning; troubleshooting system hardware, software, networks and operating and system management systems; designing and running system load/stress testing; escalating application problems to vendors
- Performs system upgrades in collaboration with operation staff and external service providers as needed
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations
- All other duties as assigned
SCOPE OF SUPERVISION/AUTHORITY:
Duties are performed under limited supervision. Often responsible for planning and organizing their own work, which may or may not be directly related to general business operations of the company or its customers. Will receive training and guidance from manager as needed. Individual contributors may be required to regularly exercise discretion and independent judgment with respect to matters of significance depending on the nature of the position. No direct management responsibility.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Intermittent lifting of heavy computer equipment (20-60 pounds)
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard.
- This position is mostly stationary and will be required to remain stationary for extended periods of time.
- Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet.