PowerSchool | R&D | Bethlehem, PA
This position, under the general direction of the Manager and Director, DevOps, will be responsible for using leading edge technologies to build, deploy, operate, and maintain configuration management and orchestration routines to deliver and scale web applications and services in virtualized environments and in the cloud as part of a small, geographically distributed DevOps team.
Duties and Responsibilities
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Deliver configuration management and orchestration routines to deploy and scale web applications and services in virtualized and cloud environments; operate and maintain these routines in production.
- Execute as a member of a team following a well-defined Agile SDLC
- Execute any SDLC tasks including requirements definition, design, development, peer review, testing, documentation, release, deployment, operations, maintenance
- Mentor junior team members; lead projects and initiatives when called upon
- Support product development teams in the delivery of continuous integration, continuous deployment, providing templates and patterns to follow to ensure code produced by product development teams can be deployed and scaled on standardized technologies and platforms
- Perform root cause analysis for production issues where the root cause is in infrastructure, environment, configuration, or deployment routines; understand when to escalate to product development teams; remediate root causes and implement preventative actions
- Participate in after-hours maintenance when necessary, respond to emergencies, participate in customer calls when called upon in support of initiatives and incident response
- Train and mentor new and more junior DevOps engineers
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a well-rounded professional background in IT Operations /DevOps including change management, network engineering, SAN storage, systems administration, virtualization, monitoring, incident response, configuration management
- Minimum 7 years professional IT Operations or Product Development experience. Minimum 5 years’experience building and delivering solutions on AWS or Azure
- Minimum 1-year experience building and delivering solutions on Azure specifically
- Minimum 5 to 10 years’ experience as a full-stack software engineer on [.NET/SQL Server, Ruby/MySQL] —you transitioned from software engineering to DevOps due to a passion for CI / CD and Cloud automation.
- Demonstrable proficiency required with either AWS or Azure, both through
consoleand through one or more programmatic interfaces; candidate will demonstrate cloud deployment tasks during screening
- Demonstrable proficiency required with any of Bash, PowerShell, or Python; candidate will write and troubleshoot shell scripts during screening. Demonstrable proficiency strongly preferred with configuration management using one of Chef, Ansible, SaltStack, or Terraform; candidate will write automation code during
- Demonstrable proficiency strongly preferred with Kubernetes; candidate will demonstrate Kubernetessolution design, deployment tasks, and Dockerfile creation during
- Continuous Integration & Continuous Delivery - Demonstrable proficiency required in a CI / CD technology such as Gitlab, Jenkins, TeamCity. Strong experience required in designing and implementing CI / CDpipelines in support of agile software development teams. Candidate will demonstrate
excellentpractical understanding of both traditional configuration management and immutable infrastructure approaches to delivering CI / CD.
- Demonstrated results required for applying Site Reliability principles end-to-end within an agile SDLC to deliver on objectives for service quality
- Excellent understanding of distributed systems design principles
- Advanced monitoring and alerting solution design experience
- Advanced operations problem management and troubleshooting capability required on either Windows or Linux
- Demonstrated experience delivering and operating secure solutions
- Demonstrate advanced understanding of secure development practices and operational security principles
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Meets all team deadlines and responsibilities, listens to others and values opinions, helps team leader to meet goals, welcomes newcomers and promotes a team atmosphere
- Must have strong organizational skills to handle a heavy workload and multiple projects with frequent interruptions and schedule changes