Software Engineering Internship Summer 2020
PowerSchool | R&D
This position is a working student internship and will work part time. This position provides the opportunity to work side-by-side with our team responsible for technical and development support for our award-winning K-12 software. This position will assist in implementing, coding, building, and testing new features, maintaining existing features, and developing reports that will include components, data models, customization and reporting features for our products. Additionally, this position will assist in gathering and refining requirements, developing designs, implement, test and document solutions to produce the highest quality product and customer satisfaction.
Duties and Responsibilities
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Investigate and resolve issues reported for a large mobile and web applications following best practices such as authoring or updating unit tests, writing maintainable code, applying established patterns and algorithms.
- Analyze performance and develop improvements to performance of applications.
- Assist with security updates to applications.
- Perform upgrades to 3rd party libraries and tools used by the applications.
- Assist in implementing new application software features and products following best practices such as authoring of unit tests, writing maintainable code, applying established patterns and algorithms.
- Specialize in client or server side application development as a member of a project team. Preference for familiarity with the full technical stack.
- Assist in developing software to support internal initiatives, tools, update framework and application functionality.
- Work as part of an Agile SCRUM team in the planning, scoping, estimation and execution of technical solutions
- Work within a wide range of new and legacy code and technologies in a mature codebase.
- Other duties as assigned.
- This is an entry level position; the ideal person needs to be motivated and willing to learn
- Working toward bachelor’s degree (computer science or information technologies preferred) or recent graduate
- Some knowledge of Java, Spring (IoC), Hibernate, JPA, JAX-RS and/or .net
- Basic understanding of SQL, Oracle experience a plus
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work with current software design principles and concepts such as patterns, algorithms, data structures, dependency injection, MV**, SOA, n-tier architecture
- Ability to handle a heavy workload with multiple projects and frequent interruptions
- Ability to work in a changing, dynamic environment