Vista’s investment size has historically ranged from $20 million to $700+ million in equity capital. Our investment committee process for vetting transactions and continuous expansion of best practices enables us to offer value on larger transactions and funding below this range. Vista’s target investments are typically profitable, or nearly profitable, and are past the venture stage of their lifecycle. In most cases, we are the majority shareholder and only outside investor. This reduces the distractions commonly associated with having multiple financial investors and permits us to take a differentiated, long-term perspective. We are flexible and creative and pursue investments using a variety of transaction types.
- Management and/or leveraged buyouts
- Minority investments
- Acquisition or growth financings
- Recapitalizations or restructurings
- Spinouts or divestitures
- Take private transactions
Vista has focused on the software industry since our founding. We look for opportunities to build and grow sustainable, successful businesses in our target markets. Vista seeks companies that research and develop proprietary software solutions and either license them to their customers or leverage them internally to create a technology-enabled service. This includes companies that develop and market software, software as a service, and technology-enabled business, and information services. We believe there are various elements to the software business model that can create a differentiated, scalable, and highly profitable business. Identifying specific companies that can be transformed through the implementation of operational best practices and turned into predictable, high cash flow businesses is key to Vista’s target selection. While our portfolio companies need not fit a specific profile, many of our prospective investments have some common characteristics.
- Existing or potential recurring revenue
- Mission critical, “sticky” solutions
- Experienced management team
- Favorable customer characteristics
- Defensible competitive position
- Favorable market dynamics
- Strong customer value proposition
Vista provides strategic and operationally-focused investment with the goal of adding meaningful, sustainable value to each company within our portfolio. In addition to investment capital, we offer our portfolio companies access to proprietary best practices and an extensive relationship network. What sets us apart is our philosophy of working closely with management teams at the outset of each investment to reach a common understanding of business goals, develop the appropriate performance benchmarks, and implement proven best practices. Together, we aim to build some of the very best companies leading the technology sector today. Vista provides a tailored approach for adding value for each of our companies; we provide strategic, operational, and financial expertise.
- Strategic analysis and guidance
- Implementing operational best practices
- Developing key performance indicators
- Financial planning and budgeting
- Evaluating and executing on mergers and acquisitions
- Industry research and competitive analysis
- Establishing partnerships and alliances
- Talent and performance management