Senior Engineering Manager
PowerSchool | Compliance | Bengaluru, Karnataka
Job Title: Senior Engineering Manager
PowerSchool is seeking a Software Engineering Manager for it’s Compliance Technology team. The successful candidate will leverage a deep knowledge of software engineering discipline and enterprise product development best practices to lead an engineering team, architecting, developing, executing and delivering critical and time sensitive product capabilities to our clients. The candidate must be a hands-on technical expert who possesses the functional and technical acumen required to oversee engineering execution in an agile software development process, establish relationships, interact with stake holders at all levels and ensure on-time delivery of new product features, enhancements and bug fixes with the highest quality that delight end users. The candidate must have previous management experience with progressive technical experience and demonstrated progression in management responsibility, and should be prepared to successfully lead a software development team. To be a successful candidate, you must have also kept your coding skills sharp and bring an unwavering passion for managing the dynamics of a fast-paced environment. Strong communications skills and the ability to manage multiple constituents, from engineers to executive stakeholders are required.
· Lead a software development team and manage software development projects from inception to delivery. Be both a highly technical hands-on coder and effective people manager.
· Understand educational regulatory landscape and compliance requirements; analyze requirements, architect, develop and deliver compliance technology and products that deliver optimized compliance outcomes for customers.
· Establish goals and objectives for the team that aligns with the overall roadmap and delivery schedules. Coordinate multiple projects and manage competing priorities.
· Communicate cross-functionally and drive engineering efforts. Work in partnership with the product managers, QA and other stake holders to engineer and deliver the best products that delight end users.
· Use your creativity to drive innovation. Use your expertise to take on and solve complex technical problems during the development lifecycle. Ensure technical architecture and code are extensile, maintainable and supportable.
· Ensure unit testing, integration testing and code reviews are implemented and completed for functionality, performance, scalability and security; ensure adherence to standards and best practices
· Drive automation initiatives that reduce time spent on development and QA processes. Employ mistake-proofing, continuous automation and continuous improvement; continually drive improved disciplines, process and tools.
· Coach and mentor engineering staff for skill development and experience.
· Perform other responsibilities as assigned.
· BS degree in Computer Science, or a related field required; MS preferred.
· Minimum 9 years of experience in software development as a hands-on coder and a minimum 2 -3 years of experience in managing engineering teams.
· Deep understanding and proven track record of delivering enterprise software products with solid understanding and experience in Agile software development.
· Experience managing development of Java based enterprise scale web applications. Experience in one or more of the technologies such as J2EE is a plus.
· Experience developing platform level frameworks, rules engines, customization and extensibility frameworks, tools, reporting applications and products leveraging technologies such as Java, Scala, Akka, ETL, Data warehousing, ODS, Analytics, NoSQL, Apache Spark, Kafka, Machine learning, etc, is a plus.
· Ability to independently learn and actively seek new skills and knowledge to advance the development capabilities of the organization
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate across all levels of the company.
· Self starter who can perform flawlessly with minimal oversight/direction; possess a “whatever it takes to get the job done” work ethic (i.e., pick up the phone, stop by a desk, follow-up multiple times, etc.) and a do-it-all, nothing is too small mentality.
· Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic, and innovative environment, with the ability to deliver outstanding results.
· Ability to keep a calm composure and work under pressure, with the ability to drive clarity and instill confidence in others, while facilitating and focusing teams to execute to commitments.
· Analytical and strategic thinker; outstanding business analysis and associated problem solving skills with strong organizational skills; attention to detail is a must.
· Ability to critique generally accepted and new concepts and deliver commercial solutions.
· Concise, creative presentation skills, both verbally and in written format.
· Collaborator with ability to exert influence on key stakeholder (including executives) while maintaining positive working relationships.