Regulatory and Compliance Counsel
Vista Equity Partners | Operations | Oakland, CA
Vista Equity Partners is seeking to hire a Regulatory and Compliance Counsel who will work closely with the Firm’s Global Chief Compliance Officer (“Global CCO”) to ensure compliance with all applicable laws and industry regulations. Under the direction of the Global CCO and the Deputy Chief Compliance Officer & Counsel (“Deputy CCO”), the Regulatory and Compliance Counsel will direct and implement effective strategies and policies for managing compliance and regulatory risk while balancing the business interests of the Firm. This individual will proactively assist in identifying and containing compliance risk, foster a business-oriented compliance function, help the organization embrace compliance necessities, and optimize relations with regulators.
The Regulatory & Compliance Counsel will have responsibility for the following related to the Firm’s overall compliance program:
- Along with the Deputy CCO, prepare and/or oversee the preparation of the Firm’s regulatory filings including Form ADV Parts 1 and 2, Form 13F, and Form 13H.
- Along with the Deputy CCO, oversee the Firm’s fund subscription processes for the private equity funds and Vista’s hedge fund Vista Public Strategies (“VPS”), including administration of the Firm’s AML program for the private equity funds and VPS.
- Work with Global CCO and Deputy CCO to conduct the Firm’s annual compliance review, including working with the Firm’s outside compliance consultants to review the Firm’s compliance policies and procedures regarding trading activity, trade allocations, fee and expense allocations, and other risk areas. The annual review process includes performing periodic transactional and forensic tests to ensure compliance with the Firm’s policies and procedures.
- Assist the Global CCO and Deputy CCO in managing the Firm’s readiness for SEC exams and response to regulatory inquiries and requests.
- Prepare and deliver compliance training.
- Provide regulatory oversight and serve as day-to-day compliance lead for VPS:
- Be fully responsible for all aspects of compliance including trade monitoring and surveillance, review of operating policies and procedures, compliance approvals of investment allocations, proxy voting, and best execution;
- Respond to time sensitive, compliance related inquiries from VPS operations and investment professionals. Monitor the flow of material non-public information (“MNPI”) within the Firm, perform testing to ensure all MNPI is reported to the Global CCO for inclusion on the Restricted List;
- Partner with VPS to identify and mitigate emerging compliance risks and implement compliance programs and policies to ensure compliance with relevant regulations;
- Work with the Global CCO and Deputy CCO to review governing documents for new investment funds, oversee the acceptance of new limited partners into the funds by performing the compliance review of the subscription documents including overseeing AML procedures performed by Vista’s fund administrator. Work with the third-party service providers to perform periodic checks to the various AML lists such as OFAC, etc. to ensure the Firm and its funds are following relevant AML regulations.
- Work with Investor Relations personnel to understand and comply with all regulatory requirements associated with marketing the fund outside of the U.S. including pursuant to AIFMD.
- Work with the Deputy CCO and the Investor Relations, Finance, and Investment Teams in reviewing all written marketing materials for prospective and current limited partners, including marketing presentations, flip-books, and quarterly letters, DDQs and other investor diligence materials for compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Bachelor’s degree and J.D. Bar member in good standing. Certified Compliance Professional is highly desired.
- At least 2+ years of broad-based regulatory/compliance legal experience, within an international law firm and/or as in-house counsel supporting a U.S. registered investment adviser.
- Experience working with hedge funds including an understanding of trading operations, proxy voting rules, and best execution.
- Experience with an organization with AUM of $5 billion or more.
- A strong understanding of the Investment Advisers Act of 1940 and broader securities laws, including insider trading laws.
- Experience interpreting federal statutes, regulations, and state laws, and analyzing their impact on current policy and business practices.
- Experience reporting and communicating with senior leadership or investment firm partners/principals.
- Oakland location preferred.
About Vista Equity Partners
Vista Equity Partners was established in 2000 by Founder, Chairman & CEO Robert F. Smith to seize the unique opportunity presented by the enterprise software industry. Smith and Co-Founder & President, Brian Sheth, bucked traditional investment strategies of spreading risk across sectors and opted instead to have Vista focus exclusively on the enterprise software, data, and technology-enabled solutions sector. Today, Vista is a leading investment firm with over $31 billion in cumulative capital commitments, and along with its private equity arm, has a credit fund business with over $1B in AUM and a hedge fund investing in the TMT sector.
The Vista approach to creating value in its private equity business focuses on unlocking value that others cannot see. It partners with world-class management teams in portfolio companies aiming to grow and reach their full potential, and utilizes its dedicated team of operational experts, Vista Consulting Group (VCG), to generate lasting value.