Web Crawling and BOT Operations Team Lead
Numerator | Operations | Ottawa, Ontario
We are looking for a Web Crawling and BOT Operations Team Lead to lead a worldwide team of junior developers focused on web extraction. These entry level developers create the logic for extracting information in our large-scale web crawling operation. Billions of pages are crawled every month to feed our Big Data platforms and we need someone to lead the team of extraction engineers. This position works closely with the R&D and Operations team.
- Work with all business units to understand current issues and new requirements.
- Exercise independent judgment and discretion in project management by prioritizing, planning and tracking progress.
- Design, develop and modify programs and processes for optimal productivity.
- Research product development options and provides analysis.
- Consult with internal departments to identify customer needs to include into project objectives.
- Provides support regarding crawler development to internal business units.
- Manage and direct 25+ entry level developers, both local and off-shore.
- Evaluate employee performance, set expectations and goals for department and individual staff members, recruit, discipline and mentor staff.
- Create and maintain documentation for your team.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in leading a team
- Experience with project management
- Experience with the Agile development methodology
- Experience with Jira or other issue tracking software
- Experience with Python, C#, Java or another object-oriented language
- Experience with databases, SQL or NoSQL
- Experience with REST services and API design
- Good understanding or the HTTP protocol
- Experience with version control systems (Git, Subversion etc)
- Degree required
Having experience in any the following would be a valuable asset:
- Programming experience on Unix based infrastructure
- Knowledge of cloud based systems (e.g. EC2, Rackspace, Google Cloud, etc)
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.