Senior IT Systems Administrator-Linux
Omnitracs | IT Infrastructure | Dallas, TX
The Senior Systems Administrator is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure. This individual participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure. The IT Systems Administrator ensures that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere to organizational values, enabling staff, and Partners.
This individual will assist project teams with technical issues in the Initiation and Planning phases of our standard Project Management Methodology. These activities include the definition of needs, benefits, and technical strategy; research & development within the project life-cycle; technical analysis and design; and support of operations staff in executing, testing and rolling-out the solutions. Participation on projects is focused on smoothing the transition of projects from development staff to production staff by performing operations activities within the project life-cycle.
This individual is accountable for the following systems: Linux systems that support GIS infrastructure; Linux Application systems that support Asset Management; Responsibilities on these systems include SA engineering and provisioning, operations and support, maintenance and research and development to ensure continual innovation.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
• Systems administration and support over Omnitracs enterprise UNIX environments with exposure to various Windows systems
• Systems support of Omnitracs mission critical SaaS products developed on .Net and J2EE environments to meet and exceed current SLAs
• Develop, implement and enforce operating system configuration standards and uphold all business continuity requirements
• Ensure all systems deployed are secure and hardened from any known vulnerabilities
• Support any network, server, storage and database migration activities
• Continuously improve application performance and systems monitoring leveraging COTS or by developing custom tools
• Root cause analysis for any major incidents resulting in problem management responsibilities
• Support any engineering or operational initiatives related to new product offering or sustaining activities. This may require IT systems architecture and design for feasibility of any new solution
- EDUCATION: Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or Computer Engineering; or Associate’s Degree and equivalent work experience
- EXPERIENCE: 2-5 years’ Linux and Hardware Systems administrator experience within large 24/7 mission critical enterprise environments deploying and supporting custom applications and services
- Support of Operating systems including but not limited to UNIX (RedHat/Centos/Solaris) Servers, exposure and knowledge of Windows servers
- Working knowledge of virtualization technologies including but not limited to VMware, MS Hyper-V
- knowledge of SCCM/ Active Directory automation and orchestration of enterprise applications
- Working knowledge of storage solutions SAN and NAS including maintenance and provisioning
- Conceptual understanding of Private and Public Cloud technologies and technics
- Background is hardware management and maintenance with focus on HP and Cisco systems
- Advanced scripting skills (e.g. KORN, CSH, Perl, Ruby…)
- Application Performance Monitoring
- Systems Log management and analysis
- Advanced knowledge and experience with network and Internet concepts, services and protocols
- Advanced troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- 24/7 mission critical support
- Incident management, problem management, release management and change management concepts
- Understanding of relational Open source database management systems such as SQL and Postgres
- Ensures all solutions and recommended solutions are consistent IT standards and best practices
- Ability to use prudent judgment in selecting methods and techniques to create solutions
- Excellent technical, analytical and organizational skills
- Ability to work on multiple tasks simultaneously with various team members and/or other groups both internally and externally
- Ability to effectively engage in high level, self-directed time management and prioritization of workload
- Ability to work independently to develop new skills as needed to support new products and applications
Disclaimer: This Job Description indicates the general nature and level of work expected of the incumbent(s). It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the incumbent. Incumbent(s) may be asked to perform other duties in addition to those described above.
Omnitracs LLC, is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of any status or condition protected by applicable federal, state, or local municipal law.