PowerSchool | G&A | Austin, TX
PowerSchool’s Corporate Counsel supports the company as a member of an experienced legal department. The appropriate candidate will advise a growing SaaS and hardware company on various forms of commercial transactions specifically, software licenses, services agreements, procurement and general sales private and government transactions. You will be drafting, reviewing and negotiating a broad range of commercial contracts (on the sales and procurement sides), including every type of agreement affecting the various divisions of the company (e.g., licensed and hosted software and other technology-related agreements; outsourcing; NDAs/confidentiality agreements; vendor/supplier contracts; strategic alliance agreements; license and cross-licensing agreements; marketing services agreements; subcontractor agreements; RFPs; statements of work; local, state and federal government contracts, labor and employment agreements, privacy and data related agreements, etc.). The position reports directly to our Vice President of Legal Affairs and will work alongside other members of the legal team, which include senior attorneys, contract administrators, project managers and other stakeholders within the company. Experience in any of the following: intellectual property, privacy and security, employment, real estate leasing, corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions, litigation and dispute resolution, finance and accounting, education technology, debt and equity offerings, marketing, and/or lobbyist regulation is a plus. Additional experience with Canada, India and Western European operations also a plus.
Duties and Responsibilities
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to understand, interpret and explain contractual terms and conditions and legal principles to business staff and customers and assist with negotiation strategy.
- Openness to learn new areas in a fast-paced environment.
- Some experience in software licensing, including, SaaS, licensed software, cloud-based solutions, intellectual property, and open source.
- Training in and experience with reviewing, drafting, and negotiating federal (under FAR), state, and local government contracts related to, among other things, software licensing, marketing, products and services procurement, privacy and data rights and processing, and professional services.
- Broad understanding of procurement agreements for products and services including complex software, technology, hardware purchase and leasing, professional services, general commercial, and offshore and domestic outsourcing agreements.
- Familiarity with other regulatory compliance issues including, but not limited to, print advertising, state and federal trade and competition regulations and statutes. Experience with domestic and cross-border aspects of general and K-12 industry applicable privacy and data security laws and regulations, including, but not limited to, FERPA, HIPAA, GDPR, HITECH, COPPA, CAN-SPAM, CASL, and Privacy Shield.
- Ability to understand and independently draft a variety of policies and procedures for all functional and subject matter areas of the company.
- Ability to handle and prioritize a high and diverse volume of contractual and other legal matters with limited supervision; this includes self-initiation of problem identification and resolution for company’s benefit even where not specifically pre-directed by a supervisor.
- Develop a thorough understanding of and familiarity with the company's business, its people, products, markets, and customers in order to identify trends and formulate structures and strategies accordingly.
To be considered for and to perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Attention to detail with a commitment to mitigating risk to the corporate client.
- Ability to work directly with senior levels of management and to effectively communicate legal issues and obtain input and decision making within tight deadlines.
- Evaluate and develop appropriate policies and processes for legal compliance for company.
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize, multi-task, and cope well with change.
- Instinctively self-driven and willing to take the lead to identify and solve top challenges affecting the corporate client without being asked.
- Equally comfortable working with minimal direction and within a team environment.
- Talent for organization, efficiency, and proactive improvement of the status quo.
- 2-5 years of solid commercial contracts review, negotiation, and drafting experience, preferably within a recognized software company or leading corporate, IP or technology focused law firm,
- J.D. from an accredited law school and licensed in at least one US state, preferably California, Texas, Virginia or New York.
- Ability to have a good time in a casual atmosphere, while working hard and meeting expectations!