EAB | Research | Washington, DC
EAB is a best practices firm that uses a combination of research, technology, and services to improve the performance of over 1,500 educational institutions. The Research division’s membership programs serve Presidents, Provosts, Chief Business Officers, Student Affairs Executives, Heads of School, and many other key academic and administrative leaders at schools, colleges, and universities across the United States, Canada and the U.K. EAB’s research makes a profound impact on the $1.4 trillion education industry. We focus on institutions’ most pressing quality and productivity issues, performing rigorous root cause analyses and conducting hundreds of interviews with thought leaders to identify effective best practices that are shared with the membership through a series of national roundtable meetings, on-site workshops, publications, and web-conferences. The EAB Research division is committed to a diverse and inclusive community, and we are looking for individuals excited to contribute to this community and who bring experience collaborating with diverse stakeholders.
At EAB, we serve not only our members but each other—that's why we are always working to make sure our employees love their jobs and are invested in their community. See how we've been recognized for this dedication to our employees by checking out our recent awards.
The Role in Brief
Consultant, EAB Research
Consultants help develop annual research agendas that address the major strategic, management, and operational issues facing education today. Our researchers conduct in-depth interviews with campus executives at progressive institutions, and perform data and root-cause analyses to identify market-leading strategies and best practices in our pursuit to make education smarter.
As a member of our team you will have a major ownership stake in research and play an important role in innovating and producing national roundtable meetings for member organizations, on-site workshops, web-conferences and publications. You will also be a valued expert consultant to EAB member organizations, advising them on strategy and best practice implementation.
This role is based in Washington D.C.
Consultants lead our strategic research studies from conception to completion, ranging from four to six months for smaller studies to approximately nine months for the largest, most complex studies. Consultants provide intellectual leadership and analytical direction throughout all stages of the research process, working through extensive primary and secondary research, hypothesis generation and testing, rigorous analysis of findings, and the final presentation of ideas. The position requires occasional travel (approximately 15-30%) for presenting research findings to our members as well as facilitating strategy sessions. Staff management is also a key component of the position: consultants are responsible for the professional development and coaching of junior-level team members.
Key Skills Utilized in the Consultant role include:
- Strategic and root cause analysis
- Inductive and deductive reasoning
- Hypothesis generation
- Ability to formulate and defend original points of view
- Synthesis of complex ideas into actionable insights for our members
- Persuasive writing
- Effective use of graphics and visuals to communicate ideas and information
- Relationship management, both internal and external
- Project leadership and effectively managing towards deadlines
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5+ years of experience
- Experience with at least two of the following:
- Management or strategy consulting
- University strategic planning
- Conducting long-term research (at least 3 months in duration)
- Writing in-depth reports in a professional setting
- Conducting primary and secondary research
- Higher education experience
- Advanced degree in the liberal arts, sciences, or professions (MA, PhD, JD, MBA)
- Experience working in a team environment, as well as independently and autonomously
- Proven ability to communicate effectively with senior executives in both oral and written formats
- Experience with solution-focused problem solving and thinking through problems creatively
- Experience working with clients in a consultative role
- Demonstrated experience in managing projects and meeting deadlines
Consistent with our belief that our employees are our most valuable resource, EAB offers a competitive benefits package:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance, dependents eligible
- 401(k) retirement plan with company match
- Generous PTO
- Daytime leave policy for community service or fitness activities (up to 10 hours a month each)
- Wellness programs including gym discounts and incentives to promote healthy living
- Dynamic growth opportunities with merit-based promotion philosophy
- Benefits kick in day one, see the full details here.
At EAB, we believe that to fulfill our mission to “make education smarter and our communities stronger” we need team members who bring a diversity of perspectives to the table and a workplace where each team member is valued, respected and heard.
To that end, EAB is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we make employment decisions on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need. We don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law.