Site Reliability Engineer
EAB | Technology | Washington, DC
At EAB, our mission is to make education smarter and our communities stronger. We harness the collective power of more than 1,400 schools, colleges, and universities to uncover and apply proven practices and transformative insights. And since complex problems require multifaceted solutions, we work with each school differently to apply these insights through a customized blend of research, technology, and services. From kindergarten to college and beyond, EAB partners with education leaders, practitioners, and staff to accelerate progress and drive results across three key areas: enrollment management, student success, and institutional operations and strategy.
At EAB, we serve not only our members but each other—that's why we are always working to make sure our employees love their jobs and are invested in their community. See how we've been recognized for this dedication to our employees by checking out our recent awards.
Site Reliability Engineer
The current opportunity is open to Washington, D.C.
- Configuration and deployment automation
- Monitoring and disaster recovery
- High availability architecture practices
- Working with infrastructure and product teams to execute against the standards of practice, working on initial implementations, and coaching teams on successful DevOps
- Write software to improve operations and services availability, efficiency and scalability
- Forecast capacity needs, draft resource utilization reports, and optimize infrastructure spend
- Resolve service outages and build automated responses for recurrence prevention
- Influence development and administration decisions to enhance application integration and delivery
- Address security and compliance concerns, in accordance with company policies
- Identify and roll out new infrastructure technologies and methodologies
- Advance infrastructure as code practices to enable a fully automated and resilient environment
- Identify capacity metrics at various points in the application and track load against these metrics to determine when to scale.
- Education: Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, related field OR equivalent work experience
- 2+ years of experience in production software development and/or operations
- Passion for learning new technologies and finding the best fits for your colleagues
- Hands on experience with AWS
- Familiarity with one or more application frameworks and associated deployment practices: Python/Django, Ruby/Rails, Java/Spring
- Experience in Linux configuration and administration
- Strong scripting capabilities: bash, ruby or python preferred
- Experience with distributed Source Code Management (SCM) tools, e.g. Git
- Some experience with operational CM/provisioning tools, e.g. Ansible, Chef, or Puppet
- Hands on coding experience in Python, Rails or Java development and related operations
- Leadership experience in defining a public cloud strategy: initial greenfield implementation or migration of existing applications.
- Integration experience with third party/open source system monitoring tools. e.g. Nagios, New Relic, Splunk
- Experience with Continuous Integration (CI) tools. e.g. Bamboo, CircleCI, Jenkins, Travis
- Some experience with task management tools, JIRA preferred
- Knowledge of deployment strategies (like blue/green and canary deployments
- An understanding of Agile methodology either by formal education or on the job experience
Consistent with our belief that our employees are our most valuable resource, EAB offers a competitive benefits package:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance, dependents eligible
- 401(k) retirement plan with company match
- Generous PTO
- Daytime leave policy for community service or fitness activities (up to 10 hours a month each)
- Wellness programs including gym discounts and incentives to promote healthy living
- Dynamic growth opportunities with merit-based promotion philosophy
- Benefits kick in day one, see the full details here.
At EAB, we believe that to fulfill our mission to “make education smarter and our communities stronger” we need team members who bring a diversity of perspectives to the table and a workplace where each team member is valued, respected and heard.
To that end, EAB is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we make employment decisions on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need. We don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law.