Associate Corporate Counsel
CentralSquare Technologies | G & A | Lake Mary, FL
Associate Counsel –
CentralSquare Technologies, LLC is a rapidly-growing software company that develops innovative applications and solutions that power the public experience! We are seeking an energetic Associate Counsel with experience serving in a broad capacity, though specifically focusing on data privacy/security, supporting IT/IS and Marketing, and providing legal support on related commercial matters. This role reports to the Corporate Counsel. In addition to supporting other matters as assigned by the Corporate Counsel or General Counsel, this role shall have primary responsibility for providing strategic, business-centric legal support regarding data security/privacy.
The candidate must have excellent business judgment and strategic skills, and work well with diverse Business Units and Internal Stakeholders. In addition, the candidate must be able to work independently as well as collaboratively in a collegial, fast-paced team environment.
- Advise on all aspects of global privacy laws and regulations, including GDPR, California’s CCPA, Canada’s PIPEDA, and other data protection, data retention, data security, and data breach regulations;
- Develop, implement and maintain privacy policies and procedures in coordination with business stakeholders to ensure compliance with local and international legal and regulatory requirements;
- Counsel on e-commerce, public relations, brand marketing, and social media initiatives;
- Draft and review advertising, promotions, sweepstakes and contest materials, releases, and other communications and agreements relating to marketing;
- Review and counsel on commercial contracts and vendor data protection agreements;
- Support IT/IS in ensuring all aspect of Company’s (as well as vendors’) data processing, storage, and handling practices comport with applicable privacy and data security laws, including the EU GDPR, PIPEDA, PCI-DSS, SOC/SSAE, and others;
- Support IT/IS and Compliance in further developing, monitoring, and implementing security-related governance programs, including incident response planning, DR/BC plans, and vendor due diligence;
- Support Marketing in drafting and reviewing privacy notices, website terms and conditions, and related documents and agreements;
- Conduct privacy due diligence reviews, privacy impact assessments, risk assessments, and develop remediation plans; and
- Assist on other matters relating to CentralSquare and its global subsidiaries as assigned by the General Counsel or Corporate Counsel, including, but not limited to, drafting and reviewing commercial agreements, assisting with litigation management/resolution, corporate governance, M&A, and employment matters.
- Juris Doctorate (JD) from top law school; member in good standing of the FL State Bar, or the ability to be admitted in FL as Registered In-house Counsel;
- Qualified candidates will have at least 3 years of relevant legal experience;
- Have prior experience working on matters involving Privacy Shield, GDPR, CCPA, PIPEDA, FTC advertising rules, CAN-SPAM, TCPA, CASL, or other similar regulations and laws;
- Experience negotiating a vast array of commercial agreements, specifically IT, technology, development, and IP-related agreements;
- Ability to interact comfortably with executives and senior management; strong verbal and analytical skills; exceptional interpersonal skills; a commitment to professionalism; and a solid business acumen;
- An open mind and team-oriented attitude; flexibility as to the types of projects assigned; willingness to work in an unstructured environment; and the ability to manage several simultaneous projects under deadline pressure are required;
- The ability to be detail oriented without losing sight of broader strategic goals;
- Experience in the software industry is desirable, as is a willingness to travel occasionally;
- Data security/privacy certification is desirable (i.e. CIPP); and
- A sense of humor.