Consultant to University Executives
EAB | Research | Washington, DC
EAB is a best practices firm that uses a combination of research, technology, and services to improve the performance of over 1,500 educational institutions. The Research division’s membership programs serve Presidents, Provosts, Chief Business Officers, Student Affairs Executives, Heads of School, and many other key academic and administrative leaders at schools, colleges, and universities across the United States, Canada and the U.K. EAB’s research makes a profound impact on the $1.4 trillion education industry. We focus on institutions’ most pressing quality and productivity issues, performing rigorous root cause analyses and conducting hundreds of interviews with thought leaders to identify effective best practices that are shared with the membership through a series of national roundtable meetings, on-site workshops, publications, and web-conferences. The EAB Research division is committed to a diverse and inclusive community, and we are looking for individuals excited to contribute to this community and who bring experience collaborating with diverse stakeholders.
At EAB, we serve not only our members but each other—that's why we are always working to make sure our employees love their jobs and are invested in their community. See how we've been recognized for this dedication to our employees by checking out our recent awards.
The Role in Brief
Consultant to University Executives
EAB’s research programs offer strategic guidance at scale: we help college and university executives make progress on their most pressing issues. Research Consultants develop research products that drive clients’ most financially and/or mission-consequential decisions. EAB research helps clients educate stakeholders on campus, make research-informed decisions, and speed the implementation of recommended practices.
As a Consultant, you will develop terrain expertise in higher education issues, conduct long-term best practice research projects, and manage research staff. You will advise clients on research-based recommendations through written and data-driven deliverables, on-site workshops and meeting presentations, and phone consultations.
This role is based in Washington D.C. This position requires occasional travel (15-30%) to client college and university campuses.
- Lead research studies and generate insights: synthesize complex ideas into actionable advice for clients
- Develop meaningful and astute observations, conclusions, and solutions through primary and secondary research, including phone interviews with university executives, data analysis, and literature reviews
- Develop subject matter expertise in assigned terrains and through ongoing research initiatives
Project and People Manager
- Prioritize, organize, set, and meet deadlines to deliver high-quality project deliverables on time
- Balance tradeoffs on competing workflows and proactively identify project challenges and propose credible alternatives to manager
- Manage and coach junior-level researchers by developing critical skills, providing actionable feedback, and managing workloads
Communication and Delivery
- Conceptualize and craft client-ready deliverables, including white papers, benchmarking reports, meeting presentations, and on-site workshops
- Communicate ideas clearly and logically using executive-focused language, tone, and channel
- Edit and quality check for written and data-based deliverables from junior research staff
- Liaise with internal partners to share program updates, surface and address process challenges, and execute on team and firm priorities
- Support sales and client strategy by providing context about program-level trends, common challenges across higher ed segments, and content expertise
- Serve as the research and/or content expert for one-on-one client and sales interactions by phone or in person
- Bachelor’s Degree, with an excellent academic record
- 5+ years of experience
- Experience with at least two of the following:
- Management or strategy consulting
- K-12 or higher education
- People or team management
- Long-term and/or primary and secondary research
- Creating client-facing written and/or data-based deliverables
- MBA or Masters’ degree
- Experience working with university presidents and/or cabinet executives, either at a college or university or as a consultant/advisor to higher ed clients
- Experience as a project manager, especially for long-term projects and deliverables
- Experience working in a team environment, both as a manager and individual contributor
- Excellent prioritization, time management, and delegation skills, especially in a fast-paced environment
Consistent with our belief that our employees are our most valuable resource, EAB offers a competitive benefits package:
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance, dependents eligible
- 401(k) retirement plan with company match
- Generous PTO
- Daytime leave policy for community service or fitness activities (up to 10 hours a month each)
- Wellness programs including gym discounts and incentives to promote healthy living
- Dynamic growth opportunities with merit-based promotion philosophy
- Benefits kick in day one, see the full details here.
At EAB, we believe that to fulfill our mission to “make education smarter and our communities stronger” we need team members who bring a diversity of perspectives to the table and a workplace where each team member is valued, respected and heard.
To that end, EAB is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we make employment decisions on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need. We don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law.