SW Engineer I
Omnitracs | OT MEX - Engineering Svcs.
Android Developer Jr.
Omnitracs, LLC is a global pioneer of trucking solutions for all business models. Omnitracs’ more than 1,000 employees deliver software-as-a-service-based solutions to help more than 12,000 customers manage nearly 1,100,000 assets in more than 70 countries. The company pioneered the use of commercial vehicle telematics over 25 years ago and serves today as a powerhouse of innovative, intuitive technologies. Omnitracs transforms the transportation industry through technology and insight, featuring best-in-class solutions for compliance, safety and security, productivity, telematics and tracking, transportation management (TMS), planning and delivery, data and analytics, and professional services.
The Software Engineer I - Mobile is responsible for participating on a team focused on the development of mobile software applications. This person designs, analyzes, programs, and debugs software enhancements. Using Android/Java programming language, will design and develop code and perform testing and debugging of applications. Experienced in object oriented design, coding, performance tuning, and unit testing. Experienced in defining and using databases programmatically. The role will be about 60% development and 40% system maintenance and support. This person must have good communication skills, and be able to participate in software design discussions. Knowledge of industry standard design patterns and practices is desirable.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
- Translates business requirements to conceptual solution architecture and high-level project estimates.
- Develops, modifies, and implements Mobile applications according to business requirements using:
- Android/Java Development
- Android Studio
- Bluetooth and Wifi communication (desired)
- RESTful interfaces
- XML and JSON protocols
- C/C++ (desired)
- Programmatic database definition and manipulation
- Object oriented coding, performance tuning, and unit testing
- Performs unit testing and software code development (including automated unit testing)
- Familiar with appropriate standards and techniques used during the Software Development Life Cycle process (SDLC) and applies them appropriately
- Participates in the testing process through test review and analysis, test witnessing and certification of software
- Engages effectively in time management and prioritization of workload
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned by management
- Coordinates efforts with Host and Embedded teams
Skills & Requirements
- EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Electrical Engineering
- EXPERIENCE: 2 years of applicable Software Development experience
- Solid working knowledge of Android/Java Development environment and process
- Good working knowledge of Database management systems
- Familiar with industry standard Software Development Life-Cycle (SDLC) process methodologies and Agile methodologies such as SCRUM
- Knowledge of Agile practices
- Solid knowledge of developing mobile applications
- Transportation industry knowledge preferred but not required
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Knowledge of industry standard concepts, practices, and procedures
- Potential to work on multiple tasks simultaneously with various team members and/or other groups both internally and externally
- Ability to engage in time management and prioritization of workload
- Ability to follow direction to develop new skills as needed to support new products and applications