Senior Manager Software Engineering
MINDBODY | Product Development
JOB TITLE: Senior Manager, Software Engineering
JOB FUNCTION: Product Development
JOB FAMILY: PD - Software Engineering
REPORTS TO: Director, Software Engineering
DATE UPDATED: 10/16/2018
JOB FAMILY SUMMARY:
Software Engineers work in the MINDBODY software development life cycle, including specification, design, and implementation and testing of new features and bug fixing. Software Engineers are responsible for their own code and bugs.
The Senior Manager, Software Engineering will be responsible for keeping assigned projects on track, ensuring the right resources are on teams to reach milestones. This position will direct our software engineering Management Team to help develop their team members’ coding and problem-solving abilities. This role will help lead the building and managing of a world-class software engineering team, on the back-end & core software side of the MINDBODY Technology Group.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- BS Degree CSC/CPE
- 5+ years of experience managing and leading technical employees (preferred)
- 7+ years of hands-on experience as a web development engineer
- 7+ years of experience managing a back-end development team
- Experience developing products for global markets
- Experience in a highly agile/scrum environment
- A strong passion for bringing useful, useable and highly desirable user experiences to life
- A strong passion for consciously evolving
- A strong passion for serving the customer
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Leverages team member’s technical expertise and strengths to see projects through fruition
- Build and manage a talented back-end development organization focused on working closely with design and business to bring exciting new product features to life
- Be a champion of software development excellence and establish team metrics for that excellence; including a consistent, regular process for assessment and improvement
- Establish a consistent, project management framework and excellent development processes to deliver high-quality software applications and services in rapid iterations
- Evangelize software development best practices and customer centricity
- Show strong design, business and technical judgment that will accelerate the time to market of releases, while incrementally moving our services towards the long-term vision
- Evangelize prototyped concepts to a diverse audience, in both ad-hoc and formal presentations
- Stay on the cutting edge of what’s new in technology and user experience, identifying opportunities to and experimenting with applying new technologies and interaction patterns to customer problems
- Be receptive to suggestions for changing and improving the way work is accomplished
- Facilitates cross-functional teams focused on the operational implementation of MINDBODY’s strategy for Software Development
- Provides effective recommendations for short and long-term strategic planning for Software Engineering
- Effectively manages differences and resolves conflict by confronting problems openly and constructively within teams
- Set an example by working hard
- Handles crises and stress calmly and effectively
- Encourages and supports others to take on responsibility, authority, and accountability
- Is effective in following through on responsibilities
- Makes people feel that what they do has meaning and significance regarding the success of MINDBODY
- Gives others recognition for their contributions
- All other duties as assigned
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Travel as needed depending on business needs
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard.
- This position is mostly stationary and will be required to remain stationary for extended periods of time.
- Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet.
SCOPE OF SUPERVISION/AUTHORITY:
Duties are performed under limited supervision. Decision making authority is broad within the scope of assignments. This position requires self-direction and continuous evaluation of priorities to ensure completion by deadlines. All decisions and consulting will reflect adherence with internal policies and state and federal law. This position plays a key role in recruiting, supervising, evaluating, mentoring and if necessary, dismissing team members. Although this role can operate successfully with little direct supervision, all operational changes particularly those relating to job function changes, raises, service level goals, and anything budget related must be agreed upon by the department Executive.
The incumbent or successful candidate must meet the job requirements above in order to perform the essential functions of this position and achieve the outcomes/results indicated in this job description. The Company will make every effort to make reasonable accommodations upon request to enable qualified individuals with known disabilities to perform the essential functions of their job.
I acknowledge receipt of this job description. Nothing contained in this job description is intended to nor does it create a contract of employment for any specific duration.
Team Member Signature: ________________________________________ Date: _______________
Team Member Name: ___________________________________________