Manager, User Experience UX
PowerSchool | Product Management | Roanoke, VA
You are a problem solver. People come to you to help them figure out how to fix things, and you always seem to be able to do it. You love digging into complex software and figuring out how to make it easy to use. And you’re good at it. Solving problems with people and software is your special talent. If this is you, we’d like to talk to you.
At PowerSchool, we solve problems for one of the most important groups of people out there – teachers. Teachers don’t have time to figure out complex software. It just has to work and be as easy as possible so they can get back to doing what they do best: teaching kids. Our team is passionate, and maybe even a little obsessed, about supporting teachers in creating the best learning experience out there. And we need problem solvers, like you, to help us do it.
As a UX Manager, you will report directly to the VP of UX and will work closely with the product and development teams, while mentoring and managing a team of 4-6 UX designers and researchers. You will solve important problems for teachers in software that ships. This role requires mastery of interaction design, design processes, and trends in the broader UX industry as well as deep knowledge in usability research and, ideally, in application learning. It also requires grit, determination, and a positive attitude. Our team loves to laugh – so the ability to tell a good joke goes a long way too.
Duties and Responsibilities
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Coaches and develops employees
- Works to increase team efficiency and effectiveness to achieve short and long term goals and deadlines
- Participates in hiring of new team members
- Performs any HR related tasks
- Shows resilience
- Builds strong business relationships with product management and development
- Manages the design process, reviews design work for the team, and recommends studies to provide actionable insight into designs
- Provides alternative solutions when criticizing an approach or idea
- Identifies usability obstacles and works with the team to find innovative solutions to minimize impact
- Has a great sense of humor
- Tracks metrics related to identifiable factors that change user experience
- Works directly with clients to identify requirements and ensure a positive experience
- Other duties as assigned
To be considered for and to perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Factors, Human Computer Interaction, Psychology, Cognitive Science, or related discipline; Master’s degree, preferred
- 5-7 years of design and usability/research, with 3+ years in a leadership role, preferably in enterprise software
- Understanding of and experience working in an Agile environment
- Ability to operate effectively in a highly-focused, team environment
- Self-starter and with demonstrated initiative
- Strong analysis and problem-solving skills
- Proven interaction design abilities, portfolio strongly preferred
- Excellent written and oral communications skills