Vertafore | Finance | Denver, CO
Position Charter & Experience
As an integral member of the Vertafore senior leadership team reporting to the CFO, the Corporate Controller is responsible for leading all accounting and financial reporting activities for the Company, a leading multibillion dollar privately-held Software as a Service (SaaS) provider to the insurance industry.
Well-qualified candidates will have served in the seniormost leadership role over one or more large accounting organizations (staff of 20 or greater) within enterprises generating revenue in excess of $100 million per year. Exceptional candidates in Assistant Controller, Divisional Controller, or similar roles within large, well-recognized enterprises may also be considered if they meet all requirements other than having served as Corporate Controller.
Experience in the SaaS industry, software, or other industry involving large transaction volumes of a recurring nature is highly preferable, but exceptional candidates from other industries may also be considered.
Attractive candidates will have backgrounds clearly demonstrating successful corporate management track records as well as exceptional competency in professional accounting encompassing both deep technical financial reporting expertise and significant Controllership experience over complex, high-volume transactional accounting operations.
The successful candidate will embody both the high professional and performance standards as well as deep personal commitment required to succeed and thrive in a fast-paced, metric-driven, and process-oriented enterprise owned and jointly managed by two of the nation’s most prolific and successful private equity firms.
· Oversees all aspects of reporting and operational accounting for the Company, a leading national SaaS provider with the sector’s largest customer base spanning multiple products and platforms
· Identifies, implements and oversees the execution of necessary financial processes, policies, procedures and controls to ensure compliance with US GAAP and all applicable tax laws
· Maintains the general ledger and all of the Company’s financial books and records
· Organizes and drives all closing and consolidation processes, including monthly account reconciliations, to track and safeguard company assets and to ensure that all financial statements and reporting are timely, accurate, and accord with US GAAP
· Serves as the primary interface with external audit firm in the Company’s annual financial audit
· Optimizes operational accounting processes by leveraging Salesforce.com and NetSuite to automate and streamline high volume of recurring revenue and other transactions within a controlled, scalable environment
· Drives full systems implementation, adoption and continuous improvement across Salesforce.com, NetSuite and other business applications to maximize efficiencies and scalability across accounting function and entire organization
· Supports Human Resources in the administration and execution of payroll by coordinating the calculation and verification of all variable and discretionary pay components inherent in Sales, Senior Management and year-end compensation.
· Partners with FP&A in budgeting, forecasting, and lookbacks
· Recruits, trains and retains a high performing, superbly professional accounting department able to assert a positive leadership role across the entire organization
· Works with the Executive Leadership Team and all levels of functional management to create an environment conducive to a service-oriented culture and continuous improvement
Professional and Technical Competencies
· Strong knowledge of US GAAP, including rules specific to software revenue recognition (ideally in a B2B environment), purchase accounting, stock compensation, derivatives, foreign subsidiaries, and software development capitalization
· Demonstrated competency applying GAAP within complex organizations, including researching and implementing relevant accounting technical standards, and preparing technical accounting memos supporting all accounting positions
· Significant experience interfacing with outside financial auditors
· Significant experience managing accounting operations for large, complex business units generating high transaction volumes across large, national customer bases and multiple product lines
· Demonstrated effective and efficient management of the closing process, including the implementation of best practices and the ability to leverage systems to automate processes and financial reporting
Systems and Integrations
· Strong systems background and track record utilizing systems to drive efficiencies and eliminate duplicate/manual processes in a high-volume subscription and/or transactional environment
· Experience leading assessment, implementation, reimplementation, and modifications to ERPs and CRMs – ideally within Salesforce and NetSuite environments
· Demonstrated success in prior complex ERP migration projects, in both M&A integration and operational consolidation situations
· Understands general business issues including external factors that impact the business and industry.
· Demonstrates the ability to follow sound business ethics when executing job responsibilities to build and maintain management confidence.
· Highly proficient in MS office applications (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint) and an ERP system environment
· Organizes and executes personnel management activities for direct managers including recruiting, performance management, training and career development to ensure the attracting and retaining the highest caliber of employees
· Ability to prioritize assignments, deal with interruptions, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced and growth-oriented environment
· Innovative and driven, with a superior ability to execute
· Excellent communication skills; possess the interpersonal and leadership qualities required to continuously motivate and develop the workforce
· Mature, thoughtful and prudent
· Strong and effective leader and administrator
· Communicative and collaborative
· Accountable and focused on detail
· Candid, honest and forthright
· Strategic with operational foundation
· Creative and Innovative
· Collaborative and team oriented
· Adaptable/Open to Change
Experience & Education Requirements
· 15+ years of relevant accounting experience
· 5+ years of Controller experience (equivalent experience as Assistant Controller is large enterprise may also be considered)