Senior/Lead Oracle Database Engineer
Cvent | Technology | Lexington, MA
Cvent’s Database Engineering team manages a diverse and growing database environment, ranging from traditional relational database technologies such as Oracle, Postgres, and SQL Server to NoSQL platforms such as Couchbase and ElasticSearch, all deployed in a hybrid cloud environment between Cvent’s own data centers and AWS. Cvent is seeking a lead database engineer with experience managing critical, revenue-generating Oracle databases in a clustered environment. In addition to standard database management activities, a successful candidate for this position will also work with product development and testing teams to ensure the database performance and stability of new features and products. Cvent uses a number of other database platforms in addition to Oracle, so candidates will also have the opportunity to become involved in other database technologies.
What You Will Be Doing
- Support the entire database lifecycle for Cvent’s Oracle database environments, from design to implementation to operation to evolution.
- Identify system and application performance bottlenecks and work with infrastructure or application development teams where necessary to resolve them.
- Identify and implement architectural changes to improve the systems’ overall stability, availability, security, and performance.
- Identify and implement procedural changes and opportunities to use automation to improve consistency and help the Database Engineering team become more efficient in managing Oracle systems.
What You Need for this Position
- 5-7 years of database architectural and engineering experience.
- Good communication and teamwork skills
- Experience managing critical production Oracle Databases in an Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC) environment
- Experience using Oracle Enterprise Manager to manage and monitor Oracle database environment
- Experience implementing high availability and disaster recovery architectures for databases
- Experience working with development and testing teams to build and maintain custom database applications
- Familiarity with database security concepts and controls, e.g. access control, encryption, and auditing
- BA/BS degree or equivalent work experience.
Nice to Have
- Ability and experience managing Oracle or other database platforms in AWS
- Working with advanced AWS database services RDS, Aurora, and Data Migration Services (DMS)
- Ability to identify opportunities for improvement in team processes and develop creative solutions to address those.
- Working with multiple database platforms
- Using CloudFormation to manage infrastructure in AWS
- Using database migration tools like Liquibase or Flyway for managing database schemas as they evolve
- Working in Agile software development methodologies