Director of Labs
CentralSquare Technologies | Development | Greensboro, NC
The Central Square Labs team is seeking a Director to lead a cross functional team of data scientists, engineers, and product management in building new, innovative solutions for public safety and administration. You will take over an existing team of engineers, data scientists, and subject matter experts to create cloud-based applications that use data analysis and machine learning to support new capabilities across the Central Square product line. You will also have the opportunity to build out a significantly expanded team in order to achieve ambitious goals.
You have experience building and working on a high performing team, mentoring engineering and other technical talent, and want to iteratively craft user-centric solutions that are both scalable and supportable. Your entrepreneurial energy and desire to have an impact in society make you challenge the status quo and strive to apply new tools and approaches to solve difficult problems. You are comfortable switching between contexts on a day-to-day basis: working with engineers to clarify requirements, with clients to define opportunities, and with the executive team to gain buy-in for your directions, and with sales to bring the solution to market.
About Central Square Labs
The innovation Lab at Central Square is a new team tasked with prototyping and scaling new, emerging solutions to support the broader Central Square mission of improving communities through our public safety and administration solutions. As a new team, we are ramping up our engineering efforts with a focus on creating cloud-based data analysis pipelines that use machine learning to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of government agencies. For instance: How can machine learning make police patrols more efficient and equitable? How do we craft ML models that are not only accurate but also fair and transparent? How do we deliver ML services to other teams in a supportable and scalable manner? If these questions speak to you, then the Labs team is the right environment in which to answer them.
What You’ll Do
· Work directly for the General Manager of Public Safety and Justice to lead an existing team consisting of data scientists and engineers
· Build out significant scale to the teams with an already approved budget including the addition of product management to your Labs team
· Communicate a compelling vision of Labs to both internal and external stakeholders
· Define the overall strategy, milestones, and deliverables for Labs
· Partner directly with the CMO, Business GMs, and CEO to tell the CentralSquare story of how we are using advanced technology to address societies most relevant problems like the increasing occurrence of natural disasters, active shooter response, responsible community policing, and other similar topics.
· Communicate persuasively in detailed written and oral form with clients, engineers, data scientists, and executives
· Analyze the technology and partner landscape to appropriately decide on Build/Buy/Partner approach to solutions.
You Should Have
· 5+ years of engineering or cross functional team leadership experience
· Experience in bringing a product vision to fruition
· Experience with Agile development methodologies
· Excellent written and oral communication skills
· Experience negotiating contracts and other 3rd party agreements
· Experience with data analysis and visualization (e.g. Excel, charting, BI)
· Excellent proficiency in Python
· Proficiency in processing tabular data (e.g. Pandas / R / Spark dataframes)
· Experience using Amazon Web Services to craft multi-tenant, scalable solutions
· Experience with designing data structures and relational databases
You Get Extra Points For
· Degrees relevant to Computer Science, Mathematics, and Machine Learning
· Experience with Machine Learning (especially NLP and deep learning) and related tools (such as Tensorflow, Pytorch, and Sci-kit Learn).
· Experience with SQL and relational databases
· Experience using big data analytics platforms such as Dask or Apache Spark
· Experience with API design and microservice architectures
· Experience with front-end frameworks such as Angular