Director, Legal Affairs
PowerSchool | G&A
PowerSchool’s Director, Legal Affairs is a senior leader within the legal department, mentoring the team of attorneys and contract administrators and supporting the existing open and transparent work culture to support PowerSchool’s compliance, contracting and operations functions. This role is suitable for a hands-on, results-oriented, business-minded attorney. The ideal candidate will effectively collaborate with senior members of the security, business development, engineering, product development IT departments as well as supporting legal operation projects. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience in the following areas: private equity and public company security regulations; managing and advising on a M&A transaction including integration and post-acquisition activities, governance and board matters, regulatory and compliance. This position will work closely with the General Counsel (GC) and other C-Suite executives on various matters related to corporate transactions and compliance matters.
Duties and Responsibilities
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following.
- Manage a team of attorneys and contract administrators providing support to a variety of compliance, commercial and corporate transactions as required.
- Participate in the design and development of corporate policies, procedures, and programs, providing counsel and guidance on legal matters, regulatory interpretations, and on legal implications of all matters.
- Serve as a key legal advisor on all corporate equity and debt financings, including acquisitions, divestitures, and joint ventures.
- Provide continuing counsel and guidance on all legal matters related to merger and acquisition activity, due diligence and all related business matters.
- Provide legal advice, opinions and solutions regarding issues and risks relating to the on-going and expanding business into international markets.
- Assist in oversight and maintenance of all foreign and domestic subsidiaries and other compliance matters.Identify, evaluate, and resolve complex business issues in a collaborative manner through cross-functional business teams.
- Advise internal business stakeholders such as SVPs, VPs and directors on risk and mitigation strategies in contracts within our industry’s complex, competitive and public regulatory-rich environment.
- 10+ years of experience, in management, corporate transactions and compliance, preferably within a private equity portfolio company, publicly-traded company or at a top law firm
- J.D. from a top tier law school
- Member of a state bar in good-standing
- Experienced, effective and emotionally intelligent manager of attorneys and other legal professionals
- Attention to detail, ability to meet deadlines, prioritize, multi-task, cope well with change and creatively mitigate risk
- Demonstrated experience working directly with senior levels of management and effectively communicate legal issues; and making sound decisions within tight deadlines
- Analytical skills to evaluate and develop appropriate policies and processes for legal compliance for company
- Talent for organization, efficiency, and proactive improvement of the status quo
- Ability to work on a small team in a casual atmosphere, while working hard Strong demonstrated experience in software licensing, hardware and service sales, procurement (inbound and outbound) and commercial agreements, including, SaaS, PaaS, IaaS, licensed software, cloud-based solutions, intellectual property, and open source; distribution; consortium and reseller agreements a plus.
- Experience reviewing, drafting, and negotiating federal (under FAR), state, and local government contracts related to, among other things, software licensing, marketing, products and services procurement, privacy and data rights and processing, and professional services.
- Familiarity with other regulatory compliance issues including, but not limited to, print advertising, state and federal trade and competition regulations and statutes, privacy and data security laws and regulations.
- Ability to handle and prioritize a high and diverse volume of contractual and other legal matters with limited supervision; this includes self-initiation of problem identification and resolution for company’s benefit even where not specifically pre-directed by a supervisor.