Numerator | Engineering
Numerator is looking for a Cloud Engineer to join our growing distributed Global DevOps team. This is a unique opportunity where you will get a chance to work with an established and rapidly evolving platforms that handles millions of requests and massive amounts of data. In this position, you will be responsible for taking on new initiatives to automate, enhance, maintain, and scale services in a rapidly-scaling SaaS environment.
As a member of our team, you will make an immediate impact as you help build out and expand our technology platforms across several software products. This is a fast-paced role with high growth, visibility, impact, and where many of the decisions for new projects will be driven by you and your team from inception through production.
Some of the technologies we frequently use include: Terraform, Ansible, SumoLogic, Kubernetes, and many AWS-native services.
What you will get to do
- Develop and test the cloud infrastructure to scale a rapidly growing ecosystem.
- Monitor and improve DevOps tools and processes, automate mundane tasks, and improve system reliability.
- Provide deep expertise to help steer scalability and stability improvements early in the life-cycle of development while working with the rest of the team to automate existing processes that deploy, test, and lead our production environments.
- Assist teams to improve self-healing and self-service cloud-based ecosystems in an evolving AWS infrastructure.
- Build internal tools to demonstrate performance and operational efficiency.
- Develop comprehensive monitoring solutions to provide full visibility to the different platform components using tools and services like Kubernetes, Sumologic, Prometheus, Grafana and, Datadog.
- Identify and troubleshoot any availability and performance issues at multiple layers of deployment, from hardware, operating environment, network, and application.
- Work cross-functionally with various teams to improve Numerator’s infrastructure through automation.
- Work with other teams to resolve issues related to application configuration, deployment, or debugging.
- Lead by example and evangelize DevOps best practice within other engineering teams at Numerator.
What you bring
- A minimum of 3 years of work experience in backend software, DevOps, or a related field.
- A passion for software engineering, automation and operations and are excited about reliability, availability and performance.
- Availability to participate in after-hours on-call support with your fellow engineers.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving mindset combined with experience troubleshooting large scale systems.
- Fundamental knowledge in networking; operating systems; package build system (Debian, Redhat Package Manager, NPM, Webpack).
- Experience with automation technologies to build, deploy and integrate both infrastructure and applications (e.g., Terraform, Ansible).
- Experience using scripting languages like Python and *nix tools (Bash, sed/awk, Make).
- You enjoy developing and managing real-time distributed platforms and services that scale billions of requests.
- Have the ability to manage multiple systems across stratified environments.
- A deep enthusiasm for the Cloud and DevOps and keen to get other people involved.
- Experience with scaling and operationalizing distributed data stores, file systems and services.
- Running services in AWS or other cloud platforms, strong experience with Linux systems.
- Experience in modern software paradigms including cloud applications and serverless architectures.
- You look ahead to identify opportunities and foster a culture of innovation.
Nice to haves
- Previous experience working with a geographically distributed software engineering team.
- Experience with storage optimizations and management.
- Solid understanding of building scalable, highly performant systems and services.
- Expertise with big data, analytics, machine learning, and personalization.
- Start-up or CPG industry experience.
- BS, MS or Ph.D. in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent work experience.
What we offer
- An inclusive and collaborative company culture - we work in an open environment while working together to get things done, and adapt to the changing needs as they come.
- An opportunity to have an impact in a technologically data-driven company.
- Ownership over platforms and environments in an industry-leading product.
- Market competitive total compensation package.
- Volunteer time off and charitable donation matching.
- Strong support for career growth, including mentorship programs, leadership training, access to conferences, employee resources groups and Women's Leadership Initiatives programs.
- Regular hackathons to build your own projects and Engineering Lunch and Learns.
- Great benefits package including health/vision/dental, unlimited PTO, flexible schedule, RRSPs matching, travel reimbursement and more.
If this sounds like something you would like to be part of, we’d love for you to apply! Don't worry if you think that you don't meet all the qualifications here, the tools, technology, and methodologies we use are constantly changing and we value talent and interest over specific experience.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.