Manager, Cloud Architecture
Jamf | 410 - Cloud Operations
Who we are:
Jamf, the standard for Apple in the enterprise, extends the legendary Apple experience people love to businesses, schools, and government organizations. After watching hundreds of users struggle to deploy, update, and secure Apple computers, iPads, and iPhones in business and in the classroom, we knew there had to be a better way to handle such pesky IT functions. Removing the barriers of technology and empowering doctors to treat patients, teachers to teach, and businesses to thrive.
Today, more than 34,000 customers from more than 150 countries rely on Jamf to help them succeed with Apple. We don’t say we are the best, but we strive to be the best. We are a group of curious, self-starters with a passion for making people’s lives easier, paving the way for a better Apple experience in government organizations, hospitals, businesses, and schools.
What you’ll do at Jamf:
At Jamf, we empower people to be their best selves and do their best work. As Manager of Cloud Architecture, you will be responsible for leading data architecture, cloud architecture, and security architecture for the Cloud & Delivery organization. You will lead a team of Architect’s that are responsible for aligning our technical strategy with business objectives for each team within Cloud & Delivery. This team works closely with our Product Management teams and Software Engineering teams to align organization goals and roadmap objectives to the broader organization. You will be responsible for mapping objectives back into teams across the organization and ensuring that they are positioned to succeed.
We are looking for a technical leader that demonstrates relentless self-improvement by staying current with cloud development technologies, and that demonstrates a passion for innovation. Cloud & Delivery leaders are responsible for building critical production systems and should also strive for operational excellence with the services that their team delivers. An ideal candidate should embrace DevOps best practices and demonstrate a passion for recruiting, hiring, mentoring, and coaching engineers across many job levels. Leaders are expected to contribute to the roadmap for their area and to ensure the people they serve are aware of and understand the what and the why of their priorities.
In this role you will be expected to manage multiple priorities for a global organization. You will be responsible for building the plan that helps align teams and builds consensus. A successful leader will have a proven track record leading highly technical teams through concept all the way through delivery.
- Ensure teams follow engineering best practices, department processes and standards
- Maintains current knowledge in present areas of responsibility (i.e., self education, attends ongoing educational programs).
- Responsible for risk assessment, cost-benefit analysis, and systems design for Cloud Operations and Cloud Engineering teams
- Identifies current architectural weaknesses and develops plans for improving such as capacity planning, reducing time and cost, and improving overall effectiveness
- Establishes an Enterprise Architecture review board across teams to ensure the expertise of team members is being shared across the broader organization
- Evaluates build vs. buy decision tradeoffs for solutions that align with roadmap objectives
- Contribute to the development of engineering strategies, tactics and priorities Ensure effective application of Lean principles and Agile development practices
- Fosters a workplace with the highest moral, ethical and legal standards to deliver an environment that promotes respect, innovation and creativity
- Provides the vision and oversight of software development efforts for teams and utilizes expertise on techniques, tools, languages, and practices to guide and mentor.
- Deliver quality services and ensures teams are using KPI's and complying with SLA's Serve as a point of escalation for customers and Cloud & Delivery teams
- Leads, facilitates, and mentors teams in solving the problems of building cloud based platforms
- Work as a member of the Engineering Management team on strategic planning and the effective communication of issues, objectives, initiatives, and performance
- Maintain production services, including assisting with disaster recovery
- Develop automation where appropriate to make processes used between teams more effective and efficient Identify techniques and tools that will enhance the capabilities of the team to be more effective
- Actively collaborates with the engineering leadership team to build accurate roadmaps that solve problems and improve the effectiveness of the organization.
- Ensures the team members build quality services
- Mentors other engineers and on management best practices, employee development, career growth and other disciplines
- Manages a small to mid-sized team consisting of experienced professionals
- Performs key people management responsibilities including hiring, on boarding, developing, and supervising team along with conducting performance appraisals and coaching for performance and career growth for all team members
- Ensure teams are properly focused and aligned with departmental and organizational goals
- Continuously work to improve team dynamics and operational maturity of the organization
- Align teams with our culture, ensuring that they understand Jamf values, mission, goals, and priorities
- Provide clear vision, strategies, support and expectations to ensure employees are able to learn, grow and expand their skills, perspectives and experiences to help grow Jamf
- Models a positive, inclusive workplace one in which the talents and strengths of our increasingly diverse workforce are welcomed, further developed and manifested in our work
- Helps drive decisions on key personnel hires to influence goals to department strategies
- Hold regular 1:1’s with direct reports and performs skip level 1:1’s on an ongoing basis
- Prioritizes, monitors, and manages results through planning, attention to detail, and decision making.
- Work and communicate effectively with Software Engineering, Quality Assurance, Automation, Technical Writers, Feature Owners, and all JAMF Software stake holders.
- Ensures the teams they interact with understand JAMF values, mission, goals and engineering priorities and can make the connection between the work they are doing and the greater organization.
- Engages within or across teams to drive standalone initiative(s) within department aligned to company or line of business objectives
- Proactively seeks input from other departments what is working well and what can be improved
- 4 year / Bachelor's Degree or a combination of relevant experience and education may be considered
- 3+ years of leading security teams, cloud architecture teams, or data architecture teams (Required)
- 2+ years in a customer facing role (Preferred)
- Preferred Certifications/Licensures:
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) certifications such as Solutions Architect, Developer, and/or SysOps Administrator are helpful. If you don't have them don't worry, we'll help you become certified
- 2 or more years of Jamf product knowledge (We will happily provide this training!)
- Excellent Interpersonal Skills
- Excellent Organizational Skills
- Proven Analytical Skills
- Ability to communicate complex technical terms in an easy to understand, non-technical manner
- Ability to interact effectively with co-workers in a results driven culture
- Self-starter, energetic multi-tasker, highly motivated and team player
- Ability to engage with and establish trust and rapport with all levels of customers and employees
- Atlassian Tools (Jira, confluence, bamboo, etc.)
- Agile practitioner experienced in Scrum or Kanban
How we help you reach your best potential:
- Be your own self-starter. We support each other no doubt, but we thrive taking initiative and are empowered to roll up our sleeves, dig in, and push forward.
- Everyone has a voice and everyone can make a difference, our more than 90% employee retention rate agrees!
- Opportunity to make a real and meaningful impact for more than 34,000 global customers with the best Apple Device Management solution in the world
- We put people over profits – which is why our customers keep coming back to us at a 96% customer retention rate
- Ability to support and give back to your community through volunteer paid time off.
- 20 of the Top 25 Fortune 500 companies rely on Jamf to do their best work.
- We are relentless, but we are selfless. You can create and be creative, dig in, break it down, and troubleshoot to help others make sense of technology.
- Opportunity to make a real and meaningful impact for people by constantly building and improving the best Apple enterprise solution in the world.
- Best – in – class training in professional growth and product knowledge.
You are the right kind of Jamf if:
You go above and beyond for others, genuine and willing to help, always. You support the team around you, you don’t point fingers or pass blame. You take responsibility for your actions, are open, and respect others. You value different perspectives, in how you work and how you learn. You are naturally inquisitive, like to create and be creative. You are a problem solver, curious and resourceful, self-driven and constantly improving. You roll up your sleeves and dig in. You are excited by not knowing what may lie ahead. You are willing to take risks, try new things, even fail just to do it better next time. You’re not a jerk. You put people first. You are a good person, someone who just wants to do the right thing.
Our mission is simple; we help organizations succeed with Apple. At Jamf, we put people first. We focus on the human before we focus on the technology. We are just good people that have it in their gut to do what’s right – for our customers, our employees, and our communities.