Chief Digital Officer
NEWSCYCLE Solutions | Development & Product Management | Bloomington, MN
NEWSCYCLE Solutions delivers a broad range of technology solutions for a global customer base across all media including print, TV, radio, magazines and digital, as well as the corporate and financial services industries. The Newscycle product set includes solutions for content management, advertising management, subscription management, book publishing, and data solutions for real-time news, multimedia and syndication. Newscycle provides solutions that allow our customers to compete more effectively, grow revenues, and optimize enterprise operations, in a digital-first world.
The digital revolution for the markets served by Newscycle is changing the competitive landscape for our global customers. The Chief Digital Officer will oversee the creation of products and platforms at Newscycle that will enable our customers to transform their businesses from traditional media to the digital world. The Chief Digital Officer will possess the skills and talents to understand the digital trends disrupting Newscycle's customers and develop a winning strategy by driving the creation of transformative products/platforms at Newscycle, that will allow customers to thrive in the digital age.
The Chief Digital Officer position is a central leadership role at Newscycle. Reporting directly to the CEO and serving as a member of the executive team, the Chief Digital Officer will be responsible for overall product vision and the leadership of product development. This role includes end-to-end management of the product roadmap and engineering organization, focusing on both our current suite of products, as well as new experiences. This role is the primary driver of the shift to delivering a set of digital product offerings for Newscycle and will also work collaboratively with peers across the organization. The ideal candidate will be a true technologist and an inspirational leader; someone who promotes an open culture of innovation, a customer-centric vision for the future, and a get-it-done attitude.
The Chief Digital Officer will directly assist on all strategic, policy, and tactical matters as they relate to company performance, department supervision, budgeting, control, and financial performance of the product development and engineering organization. In addition, this individual will also interact with the Board of Directors and be involved in M&A activities including technical due diligence and acquisition integration.
This position may work remotely or in one of our various office locations.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Establish the company's technical vision and ensure alignment with business objectives and revenue goals.
- Create and maintain the backlog of market-driven company product initiatives, including the continuous identification, scoring, and stack-ranking of market opportunities
- Overall responsibility for the creation of digital focused products, platforms, services and business models.
- Direct the development and advancement of legacy as well as new products and platforms that are designed as highly scalable cloud-based Software-as-a-Service offerings.
- Experienced with both legacy and next generation technology platforms.
- Take a hands-on approach to the continuous development and quality enhancement of new digital technologies and business models and products.
- Be an inspirational leader that promotes an open culture of innovation and get-it-done attitude.
- Continually review, challenge and sometimes cannibalize Newscycle’s legacy products to create the necessary transformation required by a digitally focused product company.
- Success will be measured by the retention of revenue of existing products as well as revenue creation and profit created by new products and services.
- Assist the CEO in a functional transformation for Newscycle into a fully digital product organization, while leading the creation of new digital products.
- Define, prioritize and deliver the product roadmaps while collaborating with internal and external partners.
- Collaborate with other department heads, such as marketing, development, sales, hosting and operations.
- Establish engineering KPIs and ensure engineering standards and best practices are met.
- Lead strategic planning to achieve business goals by identifying and prioritizing development initiatives and setting timetables for the evaluation, development and deployment of services and products.
- Communicate progress and remove roadblocks with stakeholders and partners with the Executive team.
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent
- 10+ years of progressively responsible engineering management experience with day-to-day operations within software, technology, or technology consulting and services organizations.
- 10+ years of practical, hands-on, and deep, diverse experiences running up and down the technology spectrum including Cloud-based multi-tenant web applications, up to the latest trends in technology including machine learning, artificial intelligence, big data, natural language processing, open source technologies and cloud offerings.
- Demonstrated experience shipping multiple large-scale commercial application, data and/or software products and/or platforms from concept to release
- Experience in building products from the ground up that are architected to be localized and internationalized for a global customer base
- Passion for simple, smart, beautiful data driven product experiences
- Experience designing customer-focused user interfaces
- Proven experience developing & managing complex workflow products
- Demonstrated ability to lead an enterprise software company through a diverse technology modernization project involving multiple database and software development technologies
- Successful experience leading the development of enterprise application platforms
- Experience developing and shipping enterprise software applications or services from inception to delivery.
- Expertise in Agile development methods, test automation, continuous integration, and SaaS performance and scalability
- A bias for action
- Strong financial skills and an ability to develop compelling business cases
- Travel may be required – likely not more than 25% of the time.
Disclaimer: This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and duties. Responsibilities, tasks, and duties of the jobholder might differ from those outlined in the job description and other duties, as assigned, might be required.