Linux Systems Engineer, CHS
Aptean | Technical Services | Alpharetta, GA
Would you like to be a part of the organization where high energy meets intellect? If you get excited by solving puzzles and working in a collaborative environment, then Aptean wants to work with you!!
Aptean provides very specific industries with very specific ERP, supply chain management, and customer experience solutions. In today’s fast-paced, highly competitive economy, organizations don’t have time to waste forcing homegrown software, spreadsheets, and one-size-fits-all solutions to do things they were never designed to do. Aptean is on a mission to end those workarounds – with industry-specific solutions instead of generic software, expert support instead of making you go it alone, and a steady influx of new ideas instead of the status quo. That is why over 2,500 highly specialized organizations in more than 20 industries and 54 countries rely on Aptean to streamline their everyday operations.
Aptean is focused on providing products and solutions to customers in specific verticals. Our products are rich in feature and functionality and delivered on premise, SaaS and Hybrid delivery models. Aptean’s products deliver value at lowest total cost of ownership and scale with needs of our customers. Most of our products and solutions are leaders in the vertical market segments they serve.
Aptean uses its core values of Drive For Results, Win Together, Foster Innovation, and Be Courageous to guide its employee community to serve every customer in every geography and market.
The System Engineer position is responsible for design, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware, software and related infrastructure. This individual participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the infrastructure. This role is also responsible for enabling the day-to-day activities of resources company-wide via the availability of system hardware, operating systems, and software systems.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Occasional requirements to work into evenings and weekends as required, to complete key IT projects outside of normal business hours.
- Manages the system including monitoring capacity, recommending upgrades, measuring efficiency, scripting solutions to problems and creating security/system/user protocols.
- Analyses systems and is involved in the administration of systems and management of servers.
- Facilitates system backups of all server and network data repositories.
- Resolves complex, up to and including, third tier system problems.
- Programs complex, non-standard system interfaces and configurations using own code.
- Documents system administration processes and procedures.
- Researches, plans and makes recommendations for future server initiatives, upgrades and expansions.
- Participates in system security and disaster recovery.
- Participates in setup, configuration, tuning and troubleshooting of servers.
- Performs routine servicing, maintains logs and backup schedules.
- Experience of building and debugging software, analysing application and system log files to identify issues
- Handle problem recognition, research, isolation, resolution and follow-up for routine software and hardware problems.
- Follow internal IT processes and provide the Service Level Agreements committed to our internal customers.
- Building and maintaining a shared knowledge base for problem resolution
- Manage deliverables associated with a project by prioritizing, tracking, and completing assigned tasks.
- Occasional travel off site to remote locations.
Bachelor’s degree preferred. Certification in Linux would be preferred.
- High school graduate, BA/BS degree preferred degree in Information Systems, Information Technology, Computer Science or Engineering
- At least 5 years demonstrable experience with information technology and how information technology supports business objectives
- Excellent team player as well as capable of working independently
- 5 years of Linux administration and experience (Debian, CentOS, RedHat)
- Shell scripting (Shell, Python, Ruby, Perl)
- Web Server configuration and administration (Apache Solr / Tomcat / Cassandra)
- Experience in storage (XFS File Systems) and networks in regards to Linux
- Experience working with MS Windows, VMWare and backup technologies (Avamar)
- Solid security and networking covering LAN / WAN / VLAN / VPN / DNS / Load balancers & firewalls
- Server monitoring with Nagios
- Security best practices, patching & hardening
- Knowledge and/or experience of MariaDB
Skills and Abilities
- Big data, Genome search, Oracle Grid Engine (SGE) & Blast DB
- HP Blade Chassis
- Netapp Storage
- Datacenter experience
- Any exposure to HPUX/AIX/SunOS OS and hardware a plus
If you are determined to give your best every day and you are seeking an opportunity to work with an amazing group of people, then apply online today!
Aptean, Inc., is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. In accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws we do not tolerate discrimination or harassment against any applicant for employment or employee with Aptean because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other group status protected by applicable law.