Security Analyst - Entry Level Role
Advanced | Operations (Managed Services) | Slough, England
Advanced Security and Compliance
Security Operations Analyst
Advanced is the UK’s third largest provider of business software and IT Services with a £254m turnover, 16,000 customers and 2,500 employees. We provide enterprise and market-focused solutions that allow our customers to re-imagine what is possible, innovate in their sectors and improve the lives of millions of people in the UK.
Advanced solutions help to care for 65 million patients in the UK, send 10 million sports fans through the turnstiles, manage over £1 billion in charity donations, support 2.5 million students and get over 1.2 billion passengers to their destinations on time.
We support both Public and Private Organisations in Healthcare, Business, Education, Sports, Finance, Transport and Legal, covering everything from local Government and Charities through to Critical National Infrastructure and brand name organisations.
Information Security is a key requirement of any business and even more so for Advanced. To do this we need to challenge the status quo, collaborate, standardise and automate in order to build and improve relationships with our current and future clients.
The Security Operations team are responsible for the delivery of Operational Security across the business enabling services to our customers. You will be working with a range of security professional and reporting in to Security Operations Manager. You will be part of the wider security team covering all aspects of Cyber Security and ultimately reporting into the Director of Security and Compliance.
This role is a development role and you will be part of our Security Analyst development programme where we will deliver training and experience around security operations. We are looking for individuals who have transferable technical skills, either from degree education or from professional experience. Advanced is an equal opportunities employer and are keen to receive applications from all technically skilled individuals.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
You will be part of a team providing security Detection and Response services to multiple customer. You will be supported.
- 24/7 – Provide 24/7 coverage, 365 days a year. This is done through a day shift rotation (7.5hrs) covering core hrs (7am-7pm) on weekdays and a duty on-call shift periodically for out of core hours. Shift allowance included.
- Response - Provide Security Detection and Response knowledge and practice to multiple customers.
- Triage – Triage Events and Incidents and apply Containment and Eradication strategies to remediate the risk.
- Analyse - Analyse multiple security data sources to determine where malicious activities are occurring and respond accordingly.
- Control Adjustment – Identification of missing controls and adjustment of security tooling to provide compensation of remediation.
- Knowledge – Knowledge of technical systems (Infrastructure, Networks, Applications), Security practices and technologies (including anti-malware techniques, exploits, attack vectors and defensive / preventative measures) and Understanding of the wider IT Environment (IT Projects, IT Service Operations, IT Service Management, ITIL)
- Familiarity – Knowledge or experience with Windows and Unix Operating Systems.
- Contribute – Contribute to digital forensic investigations, assisting with data capture and analysis.
- Security Tooling – Understanding of security tooling and what it will perform and why (Anti-Malware, IDS/IPS, Web and Email Gateways, security analysis tools, web security tools)
- Development - Research the latest information technology security trends.
- Collaborate – Collaboration with IT technical teams to deliver Information Security services and improvements
We are not looking to employ someone to do the job, we are looking for someone to own the challenge and deliver us into a position where we are two steps ahead.
You will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Degree or Professional Industry experience – Essential
- Keen analytical mind and approach to problems.
- Viewing certainty over assumption as a priority.
- A strong team player.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to influence colleges.
- A good all-round knowledge of IT systems, platforms and software development techniques.