UNIX/Linux Systems Administrator
Advanced | Operations (Managed Services) | London, England
Advanced Managed Services
Job Title: UNIX/Linux Systems Administrator
Reporting to: UNIX Team Lead
Main Purpose of the Job
Working as part of a small technical team to provide technical expertise and support on UNIX/Linux servers for internal and customer systems. Work closely with the Professional Services Team to ensure effective delivery of UNIX/Linux related projects for existing and new customers.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
· Operating system and software administration, fault analysis and remediation on Advanced and client equipment across multiple UNIX & Linux operating systems and versions including but not limited to RHEL, CentOS, Solaris & HP-UX.
· Support the Pre-Sales & Sales teams to develop client solutions using suitable technology.
· Support the Professional Services team in the on boarding of new customers and new solutions for existing customers. This will involve taking a project from a design phase all the way through build to delivery and ongoing support.
· Controlled build, reconfiguration or upgrade work carried out under strict change control procedures.
· Creation, testing and maintenance of systems configuration and procedural documentation.
· Participate in the Advanced 24x7 on-call support rota.
· Application of OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis,
· Upgrade administrative tools and utilities.
· Conduct root cause problem investigations for infrastructure and application issues.
· Use of configuration management tools to ensure access and security across the managed estate.
· When required visit client sites for meetings or to resolve issues.
The ideal candidate will bring with them/be:
· Proven experience of working as a UNIX/Linux Engineer in large and complex environments.
· The ability to manage complex and large-scale technical solutions.
· Excellent problem solving capabilities;
· The ability to work independently as well as part of team.
· Excellent organisation skills e.g. ability to prioritise and multi task, lead technical projects, and complete the project within defined timescales.
· A good decision maker and diligent in the execution of tasks.
· Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
· A willingness to learn and develop personal skills.
· A proactive approach to work and a willingness to help others use IT effectively.
· A willingness to mentor and teach more junior team members and assist in their development.
· The ability to own, prioritise and be responsible for own workload.
· Able to maintain professional standards at all times.
· Able to comply with the provisions of ISO27001 certification and the Company Security Policy in particular relating to system and data security
Knowledge and Experience
· Degree qualified or equivalent relevant experience.
· Strong knowledge of RHEL/CentOS 5/6/7 in an enterprise environment.
· Knowledge of HP-UX and Solaris.
· Knowledge of Orchestration/Configuration Management tools (e.g. Ansible, Chef, or Puppet)
· Experience in resolving BAU issues.
· Experience managing full application stacks from the OS up through custom applications
· Demonstrable experience in supporting and managing a large number of complex multi-server, multi-vendor, multi-technology infrastructures.
· Experience in progressing projects from technical design all the way through to delivery.
· Good understanding of the design and configuration of UNIX/Linux systems.
· Experience working with 3rd party vendors.
· Experience providing on call and out of hours support.
· Experience with software management – installations, patching of OS/apps etc.
· Experience with Virtualization ideally VMWare
· Knowledge of one or more scripting languages (e.g. Bash, Ruby, Python)
· Solid understanding of TCP/IP networking concepts and major protocols.
· Experience providing systems administration in a similar Managed Services environment.
· Experience with cloud technologies such as AWS or Microsoft Azure.
· Experience with containerisation such as Docker or similar.
· Experience with web technologies eg. Apache, HAProxy etc.
· An understanding of RDBMS databases particularly Oracle would be highly beneficial.
· Experience with network security - physical and software firewalls eg IPtables
· Experience with server monitoring ideally Zabbix.
· Experience configuring and managing MTAs eg. EXIM, Sendmail, Postfix.
Education / Qualifications
· RHCSA or RHCE desirable
· ITIL Foundation V3
· Successful completion of CCAT online examination