Senior Systems Development Engineer
Jamf | 315 - Cloud Engineering | Minneapolis, MN
The Sr. Systems Development Engineer at Jamf is responsible for automation and development of our backend infrastructure that powers the Jamf Cloud that our customers rely on to manage their Apple devices in their organizations. This also involves providing the internal infrastructure that our Software Development Engineers use to build and deploy Jamf products in the Cloud.
In this role, you will need to have a strong grasp of Linux fundamentals, demonstrated knowledge of programming concepts and scripting languages, and experience working with infrastructure as code. Systems Development Engineers are expected to participate in an agile delivery team and to work closely with co-workers to drive projects forward at Jamf. We value diverse opinions, relentless self-improvement, selflessness, and a customer first attitude.
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS
- 4 year / Bachelor's Degree (Preferred)
- A combination of relevant experience and education may be considered
- No Licensure or Certification Required. Any of the following are helpful: LPIC-1, LPIC-2, LPIC-3, RHCE (RedHat Certified Engineer), AWS Solutions Architect Associate, AWS Certified Developer Associate, AWS Certified SysOps Associate
RESPONSIBILITIES SYSTEMS, DEVELOPMENT & ENGINEERING
- Identify techniques and tools that will enhance the capabilities of the team to be more effective.
- Ensure security best practices are identified and integrated into system designs and configuration
- Assist in evaluating, planning, configuration, and implementation of new software
- Maintain and scale our Continuous Integration environment as needed
- Build and maintain production environments, including assisting with disaster recovery
- Build an understanding of Jamf software and workflows that make Jamf customers successful and apply that knowledge to ensuring the quality of each release
- Participate in an on-call rotation for the services that the team builds and maintains
- Performs other duties as required and completes all job functions as per departmental policies and procedures.
- Track and follow and, when required, escalate events in a timely manner to the appropriate individual according to documented procedures
- Perform programming/scripting duties in Python, PHP, Bash and/or Java.
- Develop automation where appropriate to make processes used between teams more effective and efficient
- Identify techniques and tools that will enhance the capabilities of the team to be more effective
- Work and communicate effectively with Product Owners, Development teams, and Cloud and Delivery teams
- Create and maintain technical documentation
- 4+ Years’ experience in current programming language (to include at least one mainstream objective oriented or functional language) and tools based on position requirements. (Required)
- 4+ Years’ experience developing enterprise grade software with understanding of testing and quality assurance processes. (Required) 4+ Years knowledge of source control system’s (Git, Subversion) (Required)
- 4+ Years knowledge of issue tracking software (JIRA, Salesforce) (Required)
- 4+ Years’ experience working with Linux/Unix command line interfaces, including shell scripting (Required)
- 4+ Years’ experience in enterprise security and hardening best practices (Required)
- 4+ Years’ experience working in a Systems Administration or similar role focused on performance analysis, capacity planning, and forecasting (Required)
- 4+ Years’ knowledge of Continuous Integration Tools and Techniques (Jenkins, Bamboo, or other) (Required)
- 4+ Years’ experience with industry standard configuration management and deployment tools (eg. Ansible, Chef, Puppet) (Required) 4+ Years’ Experience administering some or all of the following technologies: Amazon Web Services (EC2, RDS, DynamoDB, ELB, Elastic Beanstalk, S3, IAM, ElastiCache) (Preferred)
- 4+ Years’ experience working with monitoring (Logic Monitor, AppDynamics, Zabbix, etc) and logging tools (Splunk, Sumologic, or ELK (ElasticSearch/Logstash/Kibana)) (Preferred)
- Advanced knowledge of containerization concepts and Kubernetes (Preferred)
- Basic knowledge of MySQL or Postgres (Preferred)