Numerator | Engineering
Numerator is currently on the hunt for a Engineering Manager to join our team where you will get the chance to scale up and support our growing engineering team in Ottawa. As our new Engineering Manager, you will support your team and help them grow professionally and personally while still getting a voice in all technical initiatives such as testing, accessibility or performance and product roadmap. This is a fast-paced role with high visibility, impact, and where many of the decisions for new projects will be driven by you and your team from inception through production.
If you are seeking an environment where you get to do meaningful work with other great engineers, then we want to hear from you!
What you will get to do:
- Lead a team of 4-6 engineers by providing both career guidance and technical vision for the product.
- Balance autonomy with guidance by giving your team the tools, context, confidence, and motivation to make decisions effectively and independently.
- Lead and manage portions of Numerator’s engineering process building software to empower engineering teams to develop and deliver high-quality products and code quickly.
- Have the technical capacity to partner with tech leads and be comfortable diving into the fray to help drive resolution in the case of incidents.
- Act as a sounding board and technical architect for your team, help define technical vision and strategy, and ensure the technical direction of your team aligns with other teams across the company.
- Work closely with Recruiting and other Engineering Managers to expand the team. This includes sourcing candidates, interviewing candidates, participating in conferences and events, and closing new talent.
- Building a cohesive, high-functioning team that thrives in a culture of trust, respect, and inclusion.
- Supporting, coaching, and developing high performing engineers through regular 1:1s, continuous feedback and relationships with team leads.
- Perform code reviews and participate in suggesting and supporting coding best practices.
What you bring
- You have 6+ years of relevant experience in leading software engineering teams and managing complex projects. You are still hands-on, yet have clearly chosen management as a career path.
- Experience managing a high-functioning, collaborative team of engineers that deliver scalable systems.
- Experience with large-scale distributed storage and database systems (SQL and/or NoSQL).
- Experience with Restful API Design & Implementation.
- Deep technical knowledge developed through multiple years of hands-on software engineering and a proven ability to provide technical mentorship and guidance to your team.
- A technical background with experience in distributed systems and data infrastructures, and are able to contribute to planning and design discussions. Experience with supporting online serving of Machine Learning models in a production environment is a definite plus.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Motivation to participate in ongoing learning and growth through pair programming, test-driven development, code reviews, and application of new technologies and best practices.
- You look ahead to identify opportunities and foster a culture of innovation.
Nice to Haves
- Previous experience working with a geographically distributed software engineering team.
- Experience in an Agile software development environment.
- Expertise with big data, analytics, machine learning, and personalization.
- Start-up or CPG industry experience.
- BS, MS or Ph.D. in Computer Science or a related field, or equivalent work experience.
What we offer you
- An inclusive and collaborative company culture - we work in an open environment while working together to get things done, and adapt to the changing needs as they come.
- An opportunity to have an impact in a technologically data-driven company.
- Ownership over platforms and environments in an industry-leading product.
- Market competitive total compensation package
- Volunteer time off and charitable donation matching
- Strong support for career growth, including mentorship programs, leadership training, access to conferences, employee resources groups and women's leadership initiatives programs.
- Regular hackathons to build your own projects and Engineering Lunch and Learns.
- Great benefits package including health/vision/dental, unlimited PTO, flexible schedule, RRSPs matching, travel reimbursement and more.
If this sounds like something you would like to be part of, we’d love for you to apply! Don't worry if you think that you don't meet all the qualifications here; the tools, technology, and methodologies we use are constantly changing and we value talent and interest over specific experience.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.