IT Engineer III - Cloud
MINDBODY | Information Technology
Company Overview - https://company.mindbodyonline.com/
JOB FAMILY SUMMARY:
Individuals within the Cloud Engineering role are responsible for the operations of secure and highly available cloud computing platforms, servers, and networks. They, install, maintain, upgrade, and continuously improve the operating environment. They also maintain the ongoing reliability, performance and support of the cloud infrastructure. This includes monitoring the operating environments; responding to incidents, problems and planning for growth. Individuals in this job family are also responsible for the overall operation and maintenance of the data center.
The Senior Cloud Engineer’s primary role is architecting, building roadmaps, research and design, and top tier ownership for cloud strategy. This includes working with other members of the Cloud Engineering team in multiple disciplines, such as storage and networking, with the focus of bridging our private cloud with the public cloud. The role also is responsible for building and managing the Cloud Management Platform, integrations with our CMDB and other platforms. As the SME, ensure that proper documentation, monitoring, hardening and knowledge transfer to others in the IT organization. Important in this role is identifying routine tasks and automating or documenting those tasks to be performed by other engineers or our 24x7 NOC.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Leads complex projects that require multiple areas of expertise.
- Contributes to strategic planning meetings and provides guidance and expertise on system options, risk, cost vs. benefits, and impacts on departmental processes and goals.
- Builds automated deployments using infrastructure-as-code technology.
- Sets up and maintains Infrastructure as a Service environments for testing and production workloads.
- Assists software engineering teams in maintaining and upgrading applications running in production.
- Assists cloud engineering teams in integrating IaaS and automation tools with various hardware platforms
- Reviews technical design specifications developed by junior levels and creates technical design specifications.
- Provides feedback to junior employees by participating in peer reviews.
- Admits mistakes and attempts to achieve the best outcome in the situation.
- Assists in maintenance and troubleshooting of operating environments, including participating in an on-call rotation.
- Ensures the adherence to standards, policies, and procedures.
- Uses best practices to improve services for customers.
- Encourages the open exchange of ideas.
- Customizes and adapts communication and discussion to appeal to the specific interest, need and level of our customers.
- All other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree, technical certification or equivalent experience.
- 3-5 years of industry experience managing IT systems in a virtualized or cloud environment.
- Advanced understanding of cloud infrastructure services (AWS, GCP, Azure).
- Advanced understanding of Infrastructure as Code tools (Terraform, CloudFormation, Azure Resource Manager).
- Advanced understanding of Configuration Management tools (Chef, Puppet, Ansible)
- Advanced understanding of systems such as Windows and Linux Operating Systems, Virtualization, Load Balancers, and Firewalls
- Proficient understanding of cloud management platforms (RightScale, Cisco CloudCenter, VMware vRealize).
- Proficient understanding of scripting languages (PowerShell, Python, Perl).
- Ability to function with ambiguity to solve complex problems.
- Ability to work with limited supervision.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Occasional travel may be required.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard.
- This position is mostly stationary and will be required to remain stationary for extended periods of time.
- Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately quiet.
SCOPE OF SUPERVISION/AUTHORITY:
Individual Contributor: Duties are performed under limited supervision. Often responsible for planning and organizing their own work, which may or may not be directly related to general business operations of the company or its customers. Will receive training and guidance from manager as needed. Individual contributors may be required to regularly exercise discretion and independent judgment with respect to matters of significance depending on the nature of the position. No direct management responsibility.